diy solar

diy solar

LV2424 standby mode = inverter off & mppt on?

offgridcab

I need the option to have the inverter off and the mppt to still be on. I believe there is an option like that by putting it in standby mode? can anyone chime in?

There are so many manuals with slight variations online.. the one I have, page 24, it says this:

Standby mode Note: *Standby mode: The inverter is not turned on yet but at this time, the inverter can charge battery without AC output. *Power saving mode: If enabled, the output of inverter will be off when connected load is pretty low or not detected.

It also says that: No output power, solar or utility charger available

Then if you put it in stand by mode - the inverter will eb switched off and the mppt will still charge?

My LV2424 has a switch on the right side that when turned off, the inverter is off. The mppt will come on when the solar panels make enough power to activate the mppt and charge the batteries. I hope this helps.

I have LV1012 MK.
The SCC will still charge the batteries via Solar when the Inverter switch is off, it can also charge the batteries via the AC utility.
You can set charging source priority.

My lv6048 just comes on to charge batteries if the switch is off... I wish you could set this, but that is why I have disconnects on my solar. :)

Yeah I will have breakers on mine so it can double as a disconnect. Thank you so much all for confirming.

Another thing I am curious about:

My AC input will be honda 2000 inverter genset. I wish to restrict the amount of current it pulls from ac to prevent overloading the genset. Anyone knows if there is a way to set something like that?

I see two possible places to do it: option #11 or #13 (funny there is no #12..)

The problem I have is that when the solar power is less than 200 watts and either the coffee pot is brewing or the toaster is on, my 2424lv controller shuts down, and the house losses power for about 30 to 40 seconds before the controller comes back on.

So to temporarily solve my problem until I can afford to replace the controller, is that I have 3 switches, one for each of the 3 parallel branches of the array. In the evening as the solar power drops down to around 200 watts, I switch all three array switches off which forces the Utility to come on to supply power to the house and charge the battery. Then in the morning after the coffee pot is done brewing, I switch the 3 switches back on and all is ok until around 6 pm when the shad from a big tree in the neighbor's yard causes my arrays to stop producing power.

I know it is a pain, but you may have to do the same type of manual switching for what you are trying to do.
Note - I don't know why my 2424lv can't handle 1KW of power, since it is designed for 2.4KW.

Jim - I wonder if it is because of the settings you have. I need to check but I remember that one sets the priority of panels vs ac vs battery so if you have it set up that the panels first give you power to the loads - then if it doesn't have enough it will shut down. You can set it to first priority to charge the batteries instead so then it will should pull power from you bank instead. There are a bunch of setting that will set how ac is loads are fed.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have played with all the different options and monitored very closely. This has been going on since the beginning of summer. My controller is outside, although in the shad. But here in my part of California, the temperatures are in the 90's and often in the hundreds. The controller even with a big fan blowing on it gets over 100 degrees.

It has only been lately by close monitoring and what is on and off, that I have narrowed the problem to overload of power drain. The other thing I notice is that in the evening with low solar power, that when a high load comes on, like the toaster or a/c, that the battery is discharging around 35 amps. So I'm not sure if the controller can't handle that large discharge current from the battery.

What I'm going to do when I can afford it is to buy a Growatts 5000 all-in-one controller that can handle 5kw. There is some downside as I will also have to buy a second 24-volt battery as the Growatts require a 48-volt battery and I will also have to buy what is called an auto-transformer. But that is ok as with the auto-transformer, I will be able to run my 220v a/c and all heavy load appliance.

- Ain't playing with this stuff fun!

Back