diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 on a Sailboat

CaptLadd

I have a Hunter 450 Sailboat that I have removed the 8kw diesel genset from. I have a LV6548 on backorder from Ian. I plan to keep a small house bank at 12v and install 300AH at 48V of LIfepo4 with around 2KW of solar. The plan is to let the inverter run the AC and refrigeration that was previously ran off the generator. Has anyone used a LV6548 in a marine enviroment? Any major concerns?

Ramblings:

300Ah * 48V = 14.4kWh

LV6548 burns about 100W just being on, so it will consume 2.4kWh/day even if no loads are connected, which is about 17% of your battery capacity.

Do you really need 6500W of 120VAC?

While it is UL1741 compliant, it is NOT UL 458 compliant (marine).

A sailboat has bountiful opportunities for shading or partial shading on your panels. Shading/partial shading can absolutely destroy production.

That unit has a low PV input current limit meaning you are going to have to have your panels mostly in series with Vmp around 150-200V. Many are hesitant to have high voltage solar panels in a marine environment.

Thanks for the input. The boat has two 30amp 110v shore power connections. The 6500w is to address the potential of 3 compressors and water pumps starting at once so soft starts kits are not necessary. The 6548 will add two mppts to the two already connected to the two existing 385w bifacials. I was planning on adding 4 more 385w bifacials so I would put two panels on each of the LVs Mppts.

Idle draw on the 6548 is less than 70 watts, no? Other than lacking automatic neutral to ground bond switching, would you see any signifcant safety concerns?

MPP seems like such a better deal than trying to assemble the same function out of Victron components as long as it doesn't burn things down to the water.

Back