diy solar

diy solar

Main to sub panel wiring.

Kevcando

I currently have a lv5048 installed and running 10 critical loads on a sub panel, I plan to upgrade my system to some Eg4 6500 to run the entire house. My question is how did you move your wires off your main breakers to your sub did you use wire nuts or terminal strips ? Or did you wire in a transfer switch, so many ways to do this.

You have to move the wires over even with a transfer switch to ..right? Anyways, I've seen people use wago connectors to extend the wires over to a sub panel.

if you extend the wires (I prefer to use wago type connectors), code says all connections must be made in a J-box that is accessable... dont bury the J-box behind sheetrock, there must be some kind of access cover.

What guage are the wires and what amperage will they carry?

You might want to use an insulated terminal block for the 8 awg.
Wire nuts are tricky with wires that big.

You might want to use an insulated terminal block for the 8 awg.
Wire nuts are tricky with wires that big.
As long as you use the correct rated wire nut, sized to the awg, and # of conductors, they work great.

Another thing to keep in mind is ALUMINUM conductors are different, and MUST use rated junctions. If it is AL, the fastener MUST be rated for AL. if AL and CU are combined, he fastener MUST be rated for BOTH!

I know everyone's main panel is different but mine has all of my 110 v loads come in from the bottom so put my sub panel next to it and a bit lower and was also to transfer everything over without extending anything.
I don't need a transfer switch as nothing can back feed to the main and being I run a Growatt the main power feeds thru as needed.

Back