diy solar

diy solar

Major Flaws In Will Prowse Minimalist Guide

pawl

I tried following the guide from here: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/the-minimalist-great-for-small-vans-and-cars.html

tl;dr: The main issue is that it suggests connecting 5/16” ends to the #10 studs on the blue sea fuse block. It should probably suggest getting a bus bar. Would also be nice if there were more specifics about which cables to buy.

The inverter comes with a cable that’s 5/16” on one side and 3/8” on the other. The 400w guide also links to a pair of windy nation inverter cables with 3/8” on one side and 5/16” on the other. However, the battery studs and connection to the ANL fuse is 5/16”. The inverter also has 5/16” studs, so you need 2x red cables (at least 4 awg) with 5/16” on both ends.

It also seems to suggest connecting the blue sea fuse box with a #10 stud directly to the inverter cable with a 5/16” end. That’s not a very snug fit. I’m also having a hard time finding lugs to connect a 4 awg wire to a #10 stud (most kits just have 1/4” connectors and up).

There’s also lot of missing detail around the connection with the renogy shunt. You need two black cables (at least 4 awg) with 3/8” on one side (for the shunt) and 5/16” on the other.

I ended up ordering a blue sea 250a bus bar with 4x 5/16” studs to avoid connecting all the 5/16” ring terminals to the #10 studs on the blue sea fuse block. This is what Will Prowse’s 400w guide suggests, and I’ll probably use the bus bar when I expand into a bigger system anyway.

In summary, I ordered these pairs of pre-made wires from windy nation on Amazon (because I used the battery monitor and since the pairs were cheaper and 2/0 was similarly priced to 4 awg):
* 2/0 awg - 5/16” on both ends - 2x pairs red/black
* 2/0 awg - 3/8” on one end and 5/16” on the other - 2x pairs red/black

Do these seem like good solutions to issues with the guide? Anything I could have done better (keep in mind I’m a beginner wanting to build a small/cheap/minimal system)?

Last edited:
FYI, I’ve bought cables from Windy Nation and now prefer battery cables USA dot com. Quality is as good, prices are better and it can select by the inch and what you want as a terminal (or bare end). The only way to do it cheaper is to buy cable in bulk and the proper crimping tools and lugs. They ONLY do cables and they do it well. They have no Amazon or eBay presence so they can remain price competitive. Shipping is $3-4 flat rate.

And I haven’t read Will’s guide but I agree, bus bars are ideal.

Back