diy solar

diy solar

Max PV amps to charge controller?

Dtpmatt

I have a renogy rover 60a charge controller that accepts 150v but in the specs is says the max load current is 20a.

Does this mean my pv amps cant be over 20amps?

Surely not. Im getting something wrong here....?

No the load terminal as @yodamota points out, is different. Most people never use the load terminal.

Your controller can accept up the X watts, depending upon your system voltage. If you’re at 12v, you can have up to 800W in panels.

Many people over panel their controller. An example is to put 1200W of panels in instead of 800W, in the above example of a 12v system and a 60A controller. This usually won’t damage your controller but may shorten its life, depending on how much direct sun you get. The controller will simply clip off any wattage that’s more than it can handle. But do NOT go over the input voltage, that will usually instantly fry your controller.

The advantage of over paneling is you get more production in a given day, especially in low light conditions. If you have 360 days of clear sun per year, then over paneling will be less beneficial to you.

No the load terminal as @yodamota points out, is different. Most people never use the load terminal.

Your controller can accept up the X watts, depending upon your system voltage. If you’re at 12v, you can have up to 800W in panels.

Many people over panel their controller. An example is to put 1200W of panels in instead of 800W, in the above example of a 12v system and a 60A controller. This usually won’t damage your controller but may shorten its life, depending on how much direct sun you get. The controller will simply clip off any wattage that’s more than it can handle. But do NOT go over the input voltage, that will usually instantly fry your controller.

The advantage of over paneling is you get more production in a given day, especially in low light conditions. If you have 360 days of clear sun per year, then over paneling will be less beneficial to you.
I have a 48v system so 3200w or 150v.

I understood that, it was just the 20a bit that had me scratching my head. Ive no need to over panel as this is a 2nd string which is over paneling my first string in preparation for winter.

Thanks for the input, I will just make sure i dont go over 150/3200.

Thats what i thought too but that would make it useless for my needs as each panel is 18a as it is.
Your array amperage is different from the SCC load (output) amps.

What are the specs of your panels? Do you know how you expect to configure your array?

I have a 48v system so 3200w or 150v.

I understood that, it was just the 20a bit that had me scratching my head. Ive no need to over panel as this is a 2nd string which is over paneling my first string in preparation for winter.

Thanks for the input, I will just make sure i dont go over 150/3200.
You can go over 3200W. You can’t go over 150v. If you have real winter, then look at an online solar calculator to determine how high your voltage will increase are your coldest recorded temperature in the last 60 years.

Back