diy solar

diy solar

MC4 connector ratings for parallel panels

daikerjohn

I can get 255w Trina Solar panels from a local reseller/scraper for $90.
Spec sheet is here, but I think the import piece is IMPP of 8.36A and ISC of 8.92A

My charge controller is an EPEver Tracer4210AN which is rated for 40 amps and, more specifically a Max PV Input of 1040 watts @ 24v

Battery banks consists of an Overkill Solar 8s BMS attached to 8 REPT 280AH cells. So overall I'll have 280AH @ 24v available.
My load will be run 24/7/365 (if possible) and is about 200 watts at 12 volts. Max C is ~8.5 amps.

The plan is to put all four of these panels in parallel (thus giving ~35A to the charge controller).
My question:
when purchasing MC4 connectors, I'll ultimately need something rated for 35 or 40amps, right?
Because the first connector will be outputting ~17 amps, and the second connector 17 + 8.5 ~= 25.5 amps. The third would be 35 amps. Right?

Another question/theory:
Due to building location, trees, etc I'd like to put two panels facing S-SE (to be most effective in morning and early afternoon) and two panels facing S-SW (most effective in late afternoon and early evening). Any issues in doing something like that? Would I be losing power overall due to the 'less-optimal' set of panels not pushing as many amps as the 'more-optimal' panels? My understanding is that, in parellel, amps are additive.

Your solar charge controller can receive up to 100v PV input.
Why not put two panels in series (giving a string of around 60v) and then parallel them with the other string of two panels (also in series).
That way you can keep the amps down.
Most MC4 connectors are rated for around 20-30 amps.

Your solar charge controller can receive up to 100v PV input.
Why not put two panels in series (giving a string of around 60v) and then parallel them with the other string of two panels (also in series).
That way you can keep the amps down.
Most MC4 connectors are rated for around 20-30 amps.
One series-set of panels would be 60v @ 8.5 amps. These would face S-SE.
The second series-set the same: 60v @ 8.5 amps. These would face S-SW.

Parallel the two sets and it'd be delivering roughly 60v @ 17 amps to the SCC. And the SCC does it's magic/wizardry to step-down everything to 30-ish volts to charge the battery?
That makes sense to me. Good idea!

Same question still applies, though: would I be losing anything by the less-optimal set of panels being 'tied' to the more-optimal set of panels?

And the SCC does it's magic/wizardry to step-down everything to 30-ish volts to charge the battery?
Yes.
Thats what the MPPT functionality is all (mostly?) about.
would I be losing anything by the less-optimal set of panels being 'tied' to the more-optimal set of panels?
No, the 2 parallel strings will pretty much perform independent on the other. 2S2P is a very popular configuration for 4 panels (especially when 4S voltage is too high for the SCC).

Yes.
Thats what the MPPT functionality is all (mostly?) about.

No, the 2 parallel strings will pretty much perform independent on the other. 2S2P is a very popular configuration for 4 panels (especially when 4S voltage is too high for the SCC).
Fantastic. Thanks!
While I'm here, any recommendations for MC4 connectors? I prefer Amazon but would go elsewhere if so directed.

Fantastic. Thanks!
While I'm here, any recommendations for MC4 connectors? I prefer Amazon but would go elsewhere if so directed.
There is one official maker (forget the name but its googleable). I have had good luck with Bouge RV Y connectors. They are super cheap. Just test them to make sure they work with YOUR other connectors. I have several sets and never had a problem but YMMV.

As Ronald Reagan said, "trust, but verify".

Back