diy solar

diy solar

Melted Wiring in GSL Battery - Any idea what went wrong here?

weirded

Power went out a few nights ago. System is grid tied with a pair of Outback Radians and Iron Edison/GSL 10kWh LFP wall batteries. Opened up one of the batteries and was shocked to find melted wired and evidence of smoke. The other 3 batteries seem to be in similar shape (though I am honestly afraid to touch them at this point).

Any guess as to what could have happened here?

Pasted_Image_12_14_23__11_54 AM.pngPasted_Image_12_14_23__11_54 AM.png

Overview of the setup pre-meltdown:
Pasted_Image_12_14_23__11_55 AM.png

Yeah will try to take more pics tomorrow - I am a bit scared to touch them - my solar installer is coming tomorrow w/ PPE to "defuse" these things.

In fire investigations you generally look for the lowest point of origin. Any evidence of melting on the bms board? Hard to tell from the pics.

Well dang...

I hope you setup a go pro for the tear down, and take lots of pics of the carnage.

Looks to me like the bms shorted out the balance leads...

So none of the four batteries work anymore. Seeing 2.5V or so on the DC bus.

#1 has a red LED, the BMS shows 88% SOC and an SCP fault (short circuit protection).
#2 is dead and has signs of smoke
#3 is dead and has signs of smoke (pics above are from #3)
#4 shows 0% SOC and Cell voltages of 3.7V (cells 1-10), 2.39V (11), 0V (12), 0.45V (13), 0.11V (14), 0.38V (15) and 0V (16)

So something systemwide/catastrophic is likely - unless they all failed in different ways in short order.

Did you have a lightning strike nearby?
I could see one perhaps, but all four?

What kind of balancing does it have going to where it would burn up cables? Don't most balancers only do a few amps? What gauge are those balance leads?

Was there anything that has changed recently or was there anything in your data that would give a clue as to what happened?

Back