diy solar

diy solar

Melted Wiring in GSL Battery - Any idea what went wrong here?

GSL has responded to my email now, they say they’ll provide replacements under warranty. Let’s see how that goes. I’m a bit apprehensive to replace these with identical ones.

GSL has responded to my email now, they say they’ll provide replacements under warranty. Let’s see how that goes. I’m a bit apprehensive to replace these with identical ones.
Maybe time to find a different battery /s and sell the replacements if that eases your worries. Or check if your installer pro want to trade those replacements for another brand

These things need to have a professional failure analysis performed. Any responsible manufacturer would ensure that it is done.

Just had a better look at the pictures from both battery threads, seems like the balance loom burned up on some or all of them. The balance connector is badly burned in the other pictures, can you zoom in on that area too.
So are they running them too hard and the balancing is overloaded ?
Does the BMS have early/bad firmware that allowed this to happen ?
Should all of us using these BMS's be worried about the same thing happening ?

Well - SUBCONTRACTED PRODUCTS and there's a flag in that.
Then this at the Top of the Iron Edison Page: "It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of Iron Edison. "
For RE-Volt Lithium Batteries – WARRANTY: Please contact Jim Deng at GSL for warranty issues. He can be reached via email at jimdeng@gsl-energy.com.

For RE-Volt Lithium Batteries – NEW SALES: Please contact Chris at Liniotech. He can be reached at sales@liniotech.com , 832-627-9763 , or by visiting https://liniotech.com/

For REVOLT4 Lithium Batteries: We recommend getting in touch with Wendy Liang at Topband Battery. You can reach her via email at wendy.liang@topbandbattery.com.
Theories/Postulation & Conjecture aside. Had only 1 pack failed like this, it would be one issue but as they ALL failed like this, that's a whole new game. The ONLY option is outright replacement and now the question is, will you accept that from a Company that actually sold these to people ? How many more are out there in that condition that people don't know about "yet"... Tough situation.
Ideally, if you could get the cost of those packs Refunded so you can get Known Good replacements, that would be best.

Breakers or Fues WOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED THIS ! This is an INTERNAL BMS Failure outside of that protection level.
The cause is clearly the BMS & it's installation and any number of things could have contributed, from loose connections (not torqued & locked) to damaged wire looms etc.

I have a question out to GSL to find out if they’ve identified/fixed a design flaw here. Their answer will determine whether I pursue a replacement from them. I really don’t want to sell the replacements, I think that would be extremely unethical at the least.

Breakers or Fues WOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED THIS !
The chances for all 4 battery packs BMS's to all fail simultaneously is probably slim to none so I am more inclined to believe that one of the BMS's failed and the resulting surge current took out the others. In this scenario then class T fuse may have protected the other 3 battery packs. But then again it is only speculation. A detailed failure analysis should be done.

Just had a better look at the pictures from both battery threads, seems like the balance loom burned up on some or all of them. The balance connector is badly burned in the other pictures, can you zoom in on that area too.
Should all of us using these BMS's be worried about the same thing happening
Should all of us using these BMS's be worried about the same thing happening ?
these bms's have been sold by the thousands, and are running and have been running for a long time now a multiple members here, which have yet to show any error, with the exception of 2 of these specific brand batteries, which seem to be subcontracted at least twice.....
almost want me to look at a good one, and see what corners they cut

wouldnt worry to much about it if you are running apexium/seplos by themselves

The Screws holding the battery cable lugs in the breaker box look to small. Probably didn't cause the melt down but I would use bigger screws for those.
Good luck getting something safer.

I have a question out to GSL to find out if they’ve identified/fixed a design flaw here. Their answer will determine whether I pursue a replacement from them. I really don’t want to sell the replacements, I think that would be extremely unethical at the least.
I believe Gsl has a service centre under construction in the usa someplace, hopefully they'll do a proper tear down and diagnosis.

The 10kwh models you have seem to differ quite alot for them 14.3kwh models (they're CEC listed as well). Perhaps see if they'll do a direct swap for those?

Not confidence inspiring though.

Highly unlikely that the will be the same model. They have probably ran out of these and if they haven’t they would be crazy to sell them without a safety upgrade. You might get the latest model with the latest California approval certificates. Cross your fingers ?

Highly unlikely that the will be the same model. They have probably ran out of these and if they haven’t they would be crazy to sell them without a safety upgrade. You might get the latest model with the latest California approval certificates. Cross your fingers ?
Indeed. They say it’s UL listed. The design is completely changed. Copper bars

dd8d5318-0959-441e-8af4-462855e76121.jpeg

Did a ton more troubleshooting today. Turns out both of my Outback Radian inverters now have a short on the DC bus - i.e. there is 0 Ohm resistance between the positive and negative terminals on the inverters. We were able to isolate the inverters from the rest of the system, and the short is definitely within the inverters.

The million dollar question now is - did the bad batteries cause this short, or did the inverters short and cause the batteries to overheat.

It is unintuitive to me that BOTH inverters would short out at the same time...

Did a ton more troubleshooting today. Turns out both of my Outback Radian inverters now have a short on the DC bus - i.e. there is 0 Ohm resistance between the positive and negative terminals on the inverters. We were able to isolate the inverters from the rest of the system, and the short is definitely within the inverters.

The million dollar question now is - did the bad batteries cause this short, or did the inverters short and cause the batteries to overheat.

It is unintuitive to me that BOTH inverters would short out at the same time...
I think that's actually normal. Capacitors or FETs or something. My XW reads 0 ohms between terminals while off I just checked.

I think that's actually normal. Capacitors or FETs or something. My XW reads 0 ohms between terminals while off I just checked.

Interesting... I did test with a battery - the charge controllers work and actually charge the battery, but as soon as I turn on the DC bus, the fans in the radians spin up for 1 second, and then the BMS goes into SCP (short circuit protection) and cuts power. The system is in bypass, so there are no AC loads on the Radians.

It is one of the four batteries in question, though, so it's entirely possible something is wrong with the BMS.

Interesting... I did test with a battery - the charge controllers work and actually charge the battery, but as soon as I turn on the DC bus, the fans in the radians spin up for 1 second, and then the BMS goes into SCP (short circuit protection) and cuts power. The system is in bypass, so there are no AC loads on the Radians.

It is one of the four batteries in question, though, so it's entirely possible something is wrong with the BMS.
Did one of the batteries not burn?

With my Lifepower4 I have to power on the battery connected to the inverter so that it can go through it's precharge procedure. If I were to connect the inverter while the battery was already powered on, it would also go into SCP. Your batteries may have a similar start up precharge but I don't know.

Back