diy solar

diy solar

Micro grid tie inverter system with 2 panels

Fluff34567

Hello all,

i recently picked up 2 x ja solar 265w panels and a 800w micro grid tie inverter . the panels are i assume connected in parallel given the way it connects to the grid tie inverter.

I appreciate its winter sun, the sun is low etc - (im in central europe) but i noticed i would be lucky to get 1amp and 220w maximum during a bright cloudless day.

Would this be a normal panel output or is the inverter limiting the amps output ?

panel angle is 35 degrees and rotated to get the most sun during the day.

noticed i would be lucky to get 1amp and 220w maximum during a bright cloudless day.
Do you mean output watts or sum watt-hours per day?
Would this be a normal panel output or is the inverter limiting the amps output ?
that is not normal
panel angle is 35 degrees and rotated to get the most sun during the day.
Something ain’t happening right.
the panels are i assume connected in parallel given the way it connects to the grid tie inverter.
lucky to get 1amp and 220w
Definitely sounds like something is wrong.
How are you measuring this? I’m assuming these are in-the-moment output numbers, not kWh (guessing)

Hello, Thanks for the reply.

I meant Momentary output, max I saw was 1 amp and 220w. Most output I had in a day was 0.9kwh total on a near cloudless day measured via the app.

The app is called smart life.

I know it's a tiny system but I expected to see a bit more output.

The system is the one where you plug the output of the inverter into the house electrical socket.

It's temporarily just on a trestle until they go on a shed roof in a few weeks, don't critique the install too much ! :)

What can I do to check what's causing a problem?

Attachments

• 20240213_170436.jpg
    20240213_170436.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 8
Will get a pic of the product label tomorrow morning . In going to borrow another inverter as well and see what happens . Will update all tomorrow

Here is the panel label, on both panels I get 35.4v open circuit , it's cloudy so not sure if I should be getting the full 38.23v ?

I tried series connection but the inverter won't accept it.

The inverter specs are below as well.

Ideas?

1000003270.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240218_110145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240218_110145_Chrome.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 8
Inverter PV Input is 22-60v dc, and 18 amps max (20 amps open circuit).
Panels are 30.4v (38.2v OC), and 8.7a.
Wire the two panels in parallel. You will have 30v (well within the 22-60v range), and max 17.4a (under 18a max).

i would be lucky to get 1amp and 220w maximum during a bright cloudless day.

Just guessing on the following, as I don't have real world experience:
1a at 230v AC (230w) is about 1/2 the rating of your panels (530w).
Total production in winter can easily be 1/2 that of summer. That is divided between less light hours and less light strength.
Getting 50% of rated output during full sun in winter seems a little low.

Assuming 70% of rated output in the winter, the 900Wh in one day is about 2.42 hours of sun.
Probably over 3 hours given inverter consumption and conversion losses.

Summer production could be double that, or 6 hours worth of sun. That seems a little light for peak vs peak (would expect more hours and more production during those hours).

the panels are i assume connected in parallel given the way it connects to the grid tie inverter.
You need to look at the voltage and current specs of both the micro inverter and the panels. I run two panels in series into a micro inverter that was designed for higher voltage 96 cell panels.

I connected both panels via splitters and connected to 1 set of inputs on the inverter with no change in readings.

As you say its a low end reading, I expected low as its winter but not this low. I will try get hold of another inverter and see what happens.

Getting 50% of rated output during full sun in winter seems a little low
Yes. With colder temps under full sun in winter I’ve often seen around 100% power from properly oriented panels.
I don’t see that anymore mostly because I never check anymore. Also I’m ~70’ one way and all my panels are now vertical to thwart snow. It works good.

Update, I swapped the micro inverter with same results but today I just had 517w and about 1.8A. Sky conditions look the same to me as before. I think these panels are just very sensitive. I will probably look at upgrading to 2 brand new 425w panels to get max output that I can when sky isn't crystal clear, even though its clear to me 🤣

Back