diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tie System with excessive Output Voltage (Bifacial Panels)

jgriffin

Hey everyone,

I'm on month 1 of my Ground Mounted Grid Tie setup doing it's thing. Been quite impressed with it, and wondering if i've been a bit pessimistic with my math on my install.

I bought 28 Jinko Bifacial 455 watt panels, and using 26 of them (I wanted a couple extra in case I had issues down the road). So 2 strings of 13, one string for each mppt on a Fronius Primo 10 kw Grid Tie Inverter. My version of the Primo is the 1000 Vdc max one, mpp range between 220 and 800 V. So i'm good to go for amps where i'm keeping things in series, and voltage hasn't been past 700vdc, so been quite comfortable with that, even after factoring in cold temps.

I don't have a datamanager yet, so I basically have been running out to the structure where the array and inverter are located, and taking a look at the log info with max values.

The front side of the panels are capable of 11,830 kw, and with a 25% boost from the back side (the max on the data sheet) still gets me at 14,787 watt. Does the upper end of clipping cause a higher inverter output? I've noticed a few days of 275'ish Vac, and yesterday it logged 284 Vac, which is still under the "adjustment range for grid voltage" range of 104-288 V. I've seen inverter output of over 11 kw at times too, so I took a panel out of each string just to observe if anything changes. I'm ok losing less than 10% of cloudy day performance, if it can remedy this situation potentially. I'm also not seeing the inverter cut out necessarily, where i'm not checking it constantly.

Grid has been quite stable lately, no activity on any of our reclosures at the substation. Nothing extreme for temperatures, we get some windchill here in the -15 to -25 C range but mostly at night.

Is anybody seeing higher than advertised output on these bifacial panels? I do wonder if I was approaching the 15 kw limit at times perhaps. If i was getting around 30% during peak sun, I could see it being the culprit. It's weird to think of a product working better than advertised these days.

Back