diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Rosie plus Victron 450/100, an unholy union

So I can get 2-2-2-4 for $1.59 a foot and then 1-1-1-3 for $2.09, might as well go with the larger to be easily within 100A rating?

Check prices at wirenco, they were cheaper than Nassau, after shipping, when I ordered.
Thanks. So do I use something like this for the feed from the main panel? Or does the 1-1-1-3 connect directly to the sub panel, and just have a 100A breaker at the main panel?

Zanydroid covered it.

You can use main lug (no breaker) and rely on the breaker at the main and feeding from the Rosie to protect the wire.
I chose this option.

Both items I linked above in the attached photo.

I'm looking forward to Rosie reports.

Attachments

• IMG20240629210334.jpg
    IMG20240629210334.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 11
I chose this option.

Both items I linked above in the attached photo.

I'm looking forward to Rosie reports.
Is this main lug convertible?

I would recommend that over main lug only, for the flexibility.

I would actually recommend local supply house. 70 ft of cable would probably cost $50 to ship. Call up the sales desk to see if they have it (or a similar SER size)

Last edited:
Is this main lug convertible?
According to the description on Zoro, yes.
"Main Circuit Breaker or Main Lug"
I would recommend that over main lug only, for the flexibility.
Good point.
I would actually recommend local supply house. 70 ft of cable would probably cost $50 to ship. Call up the sales desk to see if they have it (or a similar SER size)
Another good point, they were much more expensive on the 6AWG THHN, I didn't price the SER. Wireco has free shipping over $19.99 so I went that route.

Thanks for the input guys. So I'm thinking of another possible solution. Wire two 14-50 outlets using a 50A breaker right next to my main panel, one inside the basement and one outside directly adjacent. And then use a 14-50 extension cord to connect to the Rosie. My understanding is Rosie (mobile version) will detect the neutral and keep it separate from the ground, with the single ground/neutral bond remaining at the main panel. This will make things much easier from a code perspective. If I can figure out climate control I could potentially put the Rosie and batteries in an enclosed trailer my son has, basically a mobile power shed.

Thanks for the input guys. So I'm thinking of another possible solution. Wire two 14-50 outlets using a 50A breaker right next to my main panel, one inside the basement and one outside directly adjacent. And then use a 14-50 extension cord to connect to the Rosie. My understanding is Rosie (mobile version) will detect the neutral and keep it separate from the ground, with the single ground/neutral bond remaining at the main panel. This will make things much easier from a code perspective. If I can figure out climate control I could potentially put the Rosie and batteries in an enclosed trailer my son has, basically a mobile power shed.
Concerns here are:

How to deal with suicide cord risk? Maybe have inlet and outlet on same circuit.

The 14-50 on main panel has to be non GFCI since GFCI breakers generally do not support backfeed (I guess you can check for your specific one).

It will be awkward to interlock the 14-50 with main.

Or. Are you talking about feeding the AC in to the Rosie this way. That sounds great, forget everything I said above, which is about backfeeding

Concerns here are:

How to deal with suicide cord risk? Maybe have inlet and outlet on same circuit.

The 14-50 on main panel has to be non GFCI since GFCI breakers generally do not support backfeed (I guess you can check for your specific one).

It will be awkward to interlock the 14-50 with main.

Or. Are you talking about feeding the AC in to the Rosie this way. That sounds great, forget everything I said above, which is about backfeeding
Just for backfeeding the main panel from the rosie with the 200A main breaker off. Regular generator cord inlet, so no risk of exposed live prongs. I won't be able to charge from grid easily but should be fine for the summer.

Creating this thread to document an upgrade in my system from a Victron 48/1200 and Delta 2 Max to a Midnite Rosie.

Will be retaining a Victron 450/100 connected to two strings, ten Hyundai 300W and ten Aptos 370W bifacials, both laying directly on the ground.
Good luck Brucey!

Good luck Brucey!
Thanks bud. I can guarantee mine won't be a pretty showcase like your stacked pair of awesomeness :)

But good news one of the kids has a 50 foot 6-50 extension cord for his welder, so all I need is another 25 footer and I'll be good to go with a relatively "mobile" Rosie (albeit leashed to the batteries). Will be able to replace a bunch of extension cords and power strips which are trip hazards with just one. Hopefully not having a neutral line going back to main panel won't be an issue.

Ordered an MNEAC60-2P breaker to put between the Rosie output and the 6-50 receptacle. Will use my mnpv6 as the enclosure, I have one double din position available, alongside two 600V pv breakers.

Ordered an MNEAC60-2P breaker to put between the Rosie output and the 6-50 receptacle. Will use my mnpv6 as the enclosure, I have one double din position available, alongside two 600V pv breakers.
I am very interested in seeing pictures of all of Rosie's connections and layout.

I am very interested in seeing pictures of all of Rosie's connections and layout.
wsaharem has some detailed pictures of his stacked setup:

diy solar

diy solar
Back