diy solar

diy solar

Might get to test the hurricane tolerance of these mounting systems soon

pvdude

Solar Enthusiast
Depending on whether or not the storm stays on the present track,
the aerodynamic characteristics of the ground mount and roof mount could be tested.
afternoon923track.png
Not too worried about the ground mount, lots of concrete, deep piers.

The roof mount (unoccupied shed) is bolted through the corrugated, galvanized steel
into the trusses.
I used 3x the mounts that the SnapnRack design specified, because...hurricanes
snapnrackroofmount copy.jpg

I used 3x the mounts that the SnapnRack design specified, because...hurricanes
You should use 3x more zipties or straps. There is a reason wire management is the achilles heel of an array inspection - abrasion due to wind.

Hope things work out.

The only thing I can think to add is pool noodles under the edges. Could prevent wind uplift and wire abrasion. Couldn’t hurt.

Glad I used the IronRidge roof mount system and designed and installed to 145mph as code requires.

I'm currently in the bulls-eye of the track, but with 30 years in Florida, it never seems to follow them, even when even only 4 hours out.

11kw of solar, 10kw of BYD battery, with 6kw Soils Hybrid 240 split-phase for home loads ready for whatever may come my way.

20201126_131150.jpg

If you have batteries make sure to charge them up fully and leave them in reserve.
Several installers have told me that a roof with panels on is stronger than one without. It’s going to be a bit of a gut churn for the next couple of days.
I have been through six of them so far and most of the well constructed house had minimal damage.
I think Canada is going to get the biggest hit. When your homes are not built with hurricanes in mind the results are not pretty.

make sure to charge them up fully
Good idea, no Sun today, or for the next 2 days.
The MPPT controllers normally charge the batteries. I don't use the inverter charging function.
I put the MPPT chargers in "standby", and turned on the charger in the inverter, filled the batteries from the grid, worked great.
Expecting the grid to go down tonight/tommorow.

If you have batteries make sure to charge them up fully and leave them in reserve.
Several installers have told me that a roof with panels on is stronger than one without. It’s going to be a bit of a gut churn for the next couple of days.
I have been through six of them so far and most of the well constructed house had minimal damage.
I think Canada is going to get the biggest hit. When your homes are not built with hurricanes in mind the results are not pretty.
:unsure:
When is Canada getting hit with a hurricane?

What a beast :(

Typhoon Noru (110 mph sustained; 160 mph gusts) just left us, was pretty bad in the north. Ian is stronger than Noru.

:unsure:
When is Canada getting hit with a hurricane?
Sounded odd to me too, what a surprise to find out via Google that there's been more than a few hurricanes that hit Canada! Still doesn't sound right to me ;) but then again I'm from the PNW and know nothing about hurricanes

Good luck op!

Reminds me of the movie Pacific Rim, where the biggest ever Kaiju was a Category 5. Only now we don't have Jaegers to fight.

The movie also described a "double event" (dual Kaiju's); it has been happening in the Philippines quite more often recently. Crazy.

I grew up to hurricanes, as I got older they became less scary. After certain age it was more of top the generator off, fill the freezer up with ice and the fridge up with beer, we are staying :LOL:
I don't miss them, glad to deal with blizzards and wildfires.

Back