diy solar

diy solar

Minor Problem .... Repeated Requests For Push Notifications

Bob B

Emperor Of Solar
As stated in the title ..... This is a minor issue, but is annoying.

Sorry, no screen shot .... Will get one next time it comes around.

I have selected "never ask again" at least 10 times ...... to a pop up at the bottom of the screen asking if I want to enable push notification.
I just expect that if I answer never ask again .... That I won't be asked again ... and again ... and again.

Sorry for the petty complaint.

Guessing here, but have you set your browser's privacy settings to clear cookies when you close it?

If so, try adding diysolarforum.com as an exception - i.e. to keep cookies between browser sessions for this site.

Guessing here, but have you set your browser's privacy settings to clear cookies when you close it?

If so, try adding diysolarforum.com as an exception - i.e. to keep cookies between browser sessions for this site.
Thanks .... I'll take a look at that .... I had been thinking this was something that would be retained by the server.

I do have a love hate relationship with cookies.

I dunno, I also love me some good oatmeal or peanut butter cookies.

Nope .... That setting isn't turned on .... Good idea though.
I've been using Brave for my browser lately.

1702678009870.png

Hmmmm .... any idea why it keeps asking to enable push?
1702679571682.png

has to be getting deleted somehow
Do you have to re-login every time you open your browser or is your session saved?
If you have to re-login then it is definitely getting cleared

I can set that to anything else or I can also delete it and refresh, immediately your popup will come up for me too

When you click it, your browser can allow or block push notifications too thus not allowing them. The forum seems to also check if you have them already blocked and then auto ignores it.

Do you use firefox? I can show you how to check that (manually)

View attachment 183186

has to be getting deleted somehow
Do you have to re-login every time you open your browser or is your session saved?
No .... Only have to log on about once a year.
If you have to re-login then it is definitely getting cleared

I can set that to anything else or I can also delete it and refresh, immediately your popup will come up for me too

When you click it, your browser can allow or block push notifications too thus not allowing them. The forum seems to also check if you have them already blocked and then auto ignores it.

Do you use firefox?
No ....I'm using brave .... I posted the cookie setting in post #6
I can show you how to check that (manually)

I checked chromium, after you click the push button on bottom of forum you have this choice that appears on top of browser:
1702680825845.png

It should populate something here:
chrome://settings/content/notifications
does that bring you to notification settings in brave?

Assuming you clicked "block" should see
1702680847239.png

If this is set the forum software ignores the request entirely and the cookie doesn't need to be set, it won't popup

I checked chromium, after you click the push button on bottom of forum you have this choice that appears on top of browser:
View attachment 183197

It should populate something here:
does that bring you to notification settings in brave?

Assuming you clicked "block" should see
View attachment 183198

If this is set the forum software ignores the request entirely and the cookie doesn't need to be set, it won't popup
I'll get a screen shot when it happens again ..... One of the options that pops up is ... Never Ask Again ... I have selected that option many times.

Can you check if the cookie is actually allowed. Since you're using Brave, there might be a shield that prevents it:

Check for example if the site is in "Sites that clear cookies when you close them" in brave://settings/cookies
I do have .... block 3rd party cookies .... turned on. I want to keep it that way, so I added the diysolarforum to the list of always allow cookies.

1702681748153.png

I'll have to wait and see if that fixes the problem since the popup only occurs every week or 2.

I'll get a screen shot when it happens again ..... One of the options that pops up is ... Never Ask Again ... I have selected that option many times.
If you go into that URL for the settings above for your notifications you can manually add it to block or allow and it'll be done and won't popup
this url:

So .... This is the first time I have gotten the request since telling my browser to always allow cookies from this site .... I'll have to wait and see if this is the last time I get it.
If I do, I'll look for the other settings.
The question below is what pops up after closing in initial question.

1703197915117.png

Back