diy solar

diy solar

Mixed Battery Types (LiFePO4 and FLA/AGM)

RoySalisbury

Can someone outline any setup they may be using for mixed battery types. I'm replacing my FLA's (AGM) battery bank with LiFePO4. The bank itself is still very good, but its past its point of expanding it by adding more cells. And actually, LiFePO4 are better and cheaper (when it comes to usable capacity).

I have read people stating that you can add the FLA string to the new LiFePO4 string since the LiFePO4 will always maintain a higher voltage anyway and keep the FLA's basically at a float state. But if they are always at a flat state, then they never cycle.

Once reconfigured I will have a FLA bank of 16 6v 400 amp batteries providing 48v @ 800 amp. I usually only ever let them get down to 70% SOC, so thats basically 12kw of usable power form the bank.

I will initially be bringing online 2 banks of 230ah @ 48v. The will provide about 22kw of usable power. Later I will be adding another 57kw worth of LiFePO4.

I know the 12kw seems like a drop in the bucket, but they are good batteries and I don't want them to go to waste. I have already wasted 12 other FLA's by letting them sit idle for too long, so need to find a way to keep them cycled.

Put them on a separate grid-tied inverter with your primary being the voltage reference. Beyond that it becomes unpredictable and will likely risk your warranty.

Search is your friend:

Back