diy solar

diy solar

MK3-usb Needed for Multiplus?

OrganicSower

I'm finishing up my install, which includes a new Multiplus connected to a new Cerbo GX.

Will the Cerbo give me the ability configure the Multiplus and upgrade its firmware (if needed) using Victron's software?

Or do I need to also buy a MK3-usb?

I'm finishing up my install, which includes a new Multiplus connected to a new Cerbo GX.

Will the Cerbo give me the ability configure the Multiplus and upgrade its firmware (if needed) using Victron's software?

Yes. With VRM, you can use any PC with VEConfig to download the MP settings file, edit it on the local computer and the upload through VRM.

You can also make some limited changes with VRM remote console and the inverter control screen (turn on/off/charger only, change AC input current limit).

FWIW, the firmware upgrade process was a little terrifying as it was going, but it worked out great. MP firmware updates are best done in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" fashion, i.e., if they're working fine, don't bother with upgrading.

The only reason I upgraded from 430 was to get the low temp lithium charge protection they added somewhere around 48X.

Or do I need to also buy a MK3-usb?

You don't NEED one, but they're pretty handy. When I put my 2 Quattros in parallel split phase, I needed one.

My understanding from the seller that sold me my multiplus the Mk3-usb was needed for complete access for setup

You or your seller are mistaken or are in the wrong context.

If you don't have VRM, that's true. Not everybody gets a GX device. The OP has a Cerbo.

I did all of my initial configuration of my first Quattro (before it was in parallel) exclusively through VRM over the internet from 3.5 hours away. I forgot I had a MK3 until I needed to put them in parallel.

i May have misunderstood the seller but I thought they said for full access to program the unit it was required
the nice thing they threw it in with the unit as a extra no charge plus free shipping for under 1400.00

If "full programming" also includes that needed to parallel multiple inverters, then yes. It is needed as I stated above.

For programming of a standalone VE.Bus inverter (no GX device), a MK3-USB is required for either VEConfig or VictronConnect.

If connected to a GX device and VRM enabled, a MK3-USB is not required for all programming needed for a single inverter with VEConfig (no VictronConnect access). Once parallel inverters are configured directly, subsequent configuration changes can occur exclusively through VRM.

Back