diy solar

diy solar

New Victron Multiplus 2 5k

John.DS99

I have set up my new Victron Multiplus 2 5k inverter, and I have no idea how to control it.

Using a MK3 VE. Bus to USB connection, I have run the VictronConnect software. In order to enable settings the program says
"Settings are protected by a password. This password is provided with Victron training. Please contact your Victron Distributor for further information, PASSWORD _______________"

So, as of today, I am not able to get to the settings for this inverter. When I first started it up, I was surprised that it immediately started sucking almost 4000 watts from AC input. My cheap wire on the AC input was not designed to support that, so I yanked it before it melted. So, do I need to obtain a PhD in Victronology to limit the AC input current to 15 amps? I don't see any other way to control this thing.

Do I have to buy one of those Cerbo things? My Victron Connect dongle that I use with my MPPTs doesn't seem to connect and I don't think it connects by bluetooth.

Thanks.

Did you read and follow the manual?
Never, I don't know where the manual is leading.

mk3-usb victronconnect password - Google Search
OK, you win. If I search the secret password on Google, I too can become a Victron Engineer.

Are you sure that you're cut out for DIY?
What in the Nation does this have to do with my sex life?

But seriously, thanks.

Last edited:
so I yanked it before it melted

How come it even CAN melt? That clearly indicates a highly wrong and even dangerous design. It should trip a fuse/breaker if the wires are loaded out of spec.

You don't have to have a degree in Victronology. Its just there to prevent anyone messing up without knowing what they are doing. If its really was about Victronology and certifications, the password would have been way harder/unique.

Adjusting settings can cause dangerous risk. Lowering AC input isn't, but assigning a wrong battery profile can be. Since your design is clearly wrong and you want to adjust settings (instead of doing a proper safe install), it might be a good thing you've now experienced this issue.

Make sure nothing can happen, even in the worst case, and from there, adjust further settings. Or if you don't have sufficient electronics knowledge (No problem - you probably have skills in other professions which others don't have), leave it to a certified installer.

Tell us more about your 15a outlet that can power 4000w!!!

Or did you yank it out of that 30a hardwired breaker in your panel?

It tripped the breaker, I was just being dramatic.

Defaulting to a 50 amp AC input is a dumb idea in any case. Even my 6500EX had better manners out of the box.

I sometimes charge through the multiplus II on shore (15a) power. I still built my wire into the multiplus with 6awg in case that changes in the future then I do not have to rewire., only the intervening breaker, wire to inlet,and the inlet port itself would need to change (currently set up for a 30a breaker and inlet port with an adapter to 15a when needed.using 10awg from breaker to inlet).

Last edited:
Victron equipment doesn't come "Programed" for your needs unless you buy from a distributor/dealer that program's it for you. They are highly versatile equipment.

The default settings are listed in the manual. If those settings are not correct for your system you need to change them. It is the installer's job to make sure the settings are correct before comissioning the system.

If you (the installer) aren't able to do that, there are some dealers that can do that for you.

YouTube is all you need. i setup a pair of he 5k's in no time at all, with monitoring, etc. Easy as pi. Mine didn't even come programmed and I was able to program it in a few mins. Research research research.

It tripped the breaker, I was just being dramatic.

Defaulting to a 50 amp AC input is a dumb idea in any case. Even my 6500EX had better manners out of the box.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be doing it for a house install with a full panel to both draw and feed power from/to.

and, sigh, The more research I do the more blue my skin turns and the more squeeky my voice gets....

Back