diy solar

diy solar

MNEDC breakers, really non polarized?

cdsolar

caduceus
A polarized breaker will require you to follow the pos and neg wiring terminal selection based on which end you decide is going to be line. You will see some printed with a (+) symbol on the top terminals and a (-) on the bottom. This can confuse someone on how to properly wire it. You do not want to wire a neg to one side of the pole and a positive to the other. That would be a dead short.

By convention on breakers the switch position when on point towards Line. Line and load do not determine if a breaker is polarized.

I am aware that on a polarized breaker +(LINE) goes to the side with higher potential, and: - (LOAD) to the side with lower potential.

I was surprised to see LINE/LOAD markings on a non-polarized breaker, if indeed these are non-polarized. If this is just convention based on traditional wiring methods, I understand. I would not raise this question for polarized breakers.

Let's just put it this way. In any DC circuit that has bidirectional current flow (2 supplies) do not use a polarized breaker. Such as between an AIO and battery. Wire the Line side of breaker to the anticipated highest current supply. Follow any polarity marks (+,-) when doing so.

If Midnite lists their breaker as Non-polarized I believe them.

Back