diy solar

diy solar

Where to buy non-polarized DC breakers?

Skagit

Where can I buy non-polarized DC breakers in the US? I found several posts on here from people claiming to have the Midnite Solar non-polarized breakers and their website says they make them but they appear not be available anywhere. It looks like ABB and NOARK also make them but I can't find anywhere that sells them in the states. Any recommendations? I'm not willing to buy the no name chinese ones from Amazon, there has to be a better quality option out there.

Where can I buy non-polarized DC breakers in the US? I found several posts on here from people claiming to have the Midnite Solar non-polarized breakers and their website says they make them but they appear not be available anywhere. It looks like ABB and NOARK also make them but I can't find anywhere that sells them in the states. Any recommendations? I'm not willing to buy the no name chinese ones from Amazon, there has to be a better quality option out there.

Here is a Link to MidNite Solar's lineup of breaker, many/most are available from Solar product resellers:

Many/most of the breakers shown on that Poster, are available from the Wind-Sun Store. Product that they do not have in their inventory will be drop shipped to you by MidNite (at least for customers in the US), but the Wind-Sun store need to have an SKU for the desired product for this to work, without human intervention.

Some of the new high voltage breakers, like the 600 V models, may be in short supply, though.

Just my recent experience, YMMV, Good Luck, Luke

Here is a Link to MidNite Solar's lineup of breaker, many/most are available from Solar product resellers:

Many/most of the breakers shown on that Poster, are available from the Wind-Sun Store. Product that they do not have in their inventory will be drop shipped to you by MidNite (at least for customers in the US), but the Wind-Sun store need to have an SKU for the desired product for this to work, without human intervention.

Some of the new high voltage breakers, like the 600 V models, may be in short supply, though.

Just my recent experience, YMMV, Good Luck, Luke
Like the other sources I've checked they appear to only list the polarized breakers, none of the non-polarized breakers are shown. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow.

Like the other sources I've checked they appear to only list the polarized breakers, none of the non-polarized breakers are shown. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow.
OK, BUT, did you look at the MN Breaker Poster? All, or almost all of the MNEDC breakeers are non-polarized.
Some of the MNEPV breakers are also non-polarized.

AND, if the "they" that you referred to is Wind-Sun (Northern Arizona Wind& Sun), I did order some MNEDC NON-POLARIZED breakers, from Wind Sun ten days ago, and these MNEADC breakers had SKUs, and were ordered, shipped, and received, so, this "they" has a number of MNEADC breakers on their site, and, they ARE NON-POLARIZED!

Just to belabor the point, FWIW, Luke.

OK, BUT, did you look at the MN Breaker Poster? All, or almost all of the MNEDC breakeers are non-polarized.
Some of the MNEPV breakers are also non-polarized.

AND, if the "they" that you referred to is Wind-Sun (Northern Arizona Wind& Sun), I did order some MNEDC NON-POLARIZED breakers, from Wind Sun ten days ago, and these MNEADC breakers had SKUs, and were ordered, shipped, and received, so, this "they" has a number of MNEADC breakers on their site, and, they ARE NON-POLARIZED!

Just to belabor the point, FWIW, Luke.
I guess I should have specified that I was looking for the DIN rail mounted models. I've looked at that poster a bunch, I just can't seem to find the MNEPV non-polarized versions for sale anywhere. The part numbers listed for sale at Wind & Sun are the polarized models unless they just haven't updated them to reflect what they are selling which is entirely possible.

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for the DIN rail mounted models. I've looked at that poster a bunch, I just can't seem to find the MNEPV non-polarized versions for sale anywhere. The part numbers listed for sale at Wind & Sun are the polarized models unless they just haven't updated them to reflect what they are selling which is entirely possible.
Hi Sakagit,

Well, I should have asked which breakers you were having trouble finding.

YES, it does seem like a good idea to ask suppliers for delivery info. Demand should help get some supply going, although this line of DIN-Rail breakers is new.

It seems that the AIC ratings for these DIN breakers is not that high, vs, the MNEDC line ... probably due the very small size of the DINs ...

Good Luck, Luke

I talked to Midnite Solar this morning, turns out they're half an hour from me. Despite their breaker poster being dated 2020 the DIN rail mounted non-polarized breakers are not available, they don't expect to have them available for sale until 1st quarter of next year at the soonest. Looks as though I'll have to keep looking.

I talked to Midnite Solar this morning, turns out they're half an hour from me. Despite their breaker poster being dated 2020 the DIN rail mounted non-polarized breakers are not available, they don't expect to have them available for sale until 1st quarter of next year at the soonest. Looks as though I'll have to keep looking.
Thanks for that info.

That Breaker Poster has been updated, since 12/2020. The "New" non-polarized DIN breakers were added, and the notes about Polarized DINs being discontinued, were added, within about the past 6 months or, so. Not that that matters that much.

Wish you well. Personally, find the idea of using Asian breakers, a bit daunting, especially the "DC" ones. Luke

Carling and Heinemann makes those breakers. There's a lot of them on eBay right now. Many appear to be NOS. I just ordered some myself.

*but they aren't DIN rail.*

Last edited:
At this point, believe that ALL of the MN DIN Rail breakers are made by CBI (Lesotho, AF).

These non-polarized HV (300 V and up, DIN rail) breakers seem to be a new line of product, and appear to be in limited production.

The MNEDC Panel Mount breakers seem to be primarily made by Carling, and essentially ALL appeear to be non-polariozed.

IMO, Luke

Here is what I've found so far, maybe this will help someone else in the future. These are the currently available DIN rail mounted non-polarized breakers. For my application I need a 60 amp, minimum 60v DC rated DIN rail breaker, there are not a lot of those it seems. The Siemens breakers are the most readily available but are expensive and are 18mm wide instead of 13mm. I'm going to do some calling on Monday and find out what lead time is like on the CBI 80v breakers.
  • Midnite Solar MNEPV rated for 150v, not available until the end of 1st quarter 2023
  • NOARK rated for 125v, available in the US but has a 14 week lead time per their distributor
  • Carling G-Series rated for 80v, has a 12+ week lead time on most sizes
  • Siemens 5SY4 rated for 72v, available through Grainger, expensive even with my commercial account
  • CBI QY breakers with part numbers ending in 'B0' rated for 80v non-polarized, not sure of availability, found some used ones on Ebay

Here is what I've found so far, maybe this will help someone else in the future. These are the currently available DIN rail mounted non-polarized breakers. For my application I need a 60 amp, minimum 60v DC rated DIN rail breaker, there are not a lot of those it seems. The Siemens breakers are the most readily available but are expensive and are 18mm wide instead of 13mm. I'm going to do some calling on Monday and find out what lead time is like on the CBI 80v breakers.
  • Midnite Solar MNEPV rated for 150v, not available until the end of 1st quarter 2023
  • NOARK rated for 125v, available in the US but has a 14 week lead time per their distributor
  • Carling G-Series rated for 80v, has a 12+ week lead time on most sizes
  • Siemens 5SY4 rated for 72v, available through Grainger, expensive even with my commercial account
  • CBI QY breakers with part numbers ending in 'B0' rated for 80v non-polarized, not sure of availability, found some used ones on Ebay
Square D has some very affordable dc rated breakers, maybe the DO line. They do not advertise them as dc rated but it is in their spec sheet. Not sure what sizes are available.

Square D has some very affordable dc rated breakers, maybe the DO line. They do not advertise them as dc rated but it is in their spec sheet. Not sure what sizes are available.
Yes, Square D QO, QOU, and, IIRC, QOB breakers ARE rated for DC, up to 48.000 Volts. This has been in their specs for years (have not looked for any spec revisions, for about 5 years, though).

The QOU breakers are DIN-rail mount, but not the skinny DIN width.

When looking at DIN-rail breakers, it is often good to look at the rated AIC. These values in the narrow DIN breakers are usually considerably lower than for the Panel Mount style. Guessing that it is difficult to cram high AIC into a very small package.

FWIW, IMO, etc, Luke

Yes, Square D QO, QOU, and, IIRC, QOB breakers ARE rated for DC, up to 48.000 Volts. This has been in their specs for years (have not looked for any spec revisions, for about 5 years, though).
For a single pole application they are still rated for up 48v which I think is commonly interpreted to mean can't be on systems larger than 36V nominal. I've used them on 12 and 24 volts system for many years.

However in a 2 pole pole application they are rated at up to 125VDC just in case that would be of use to anyone. *but I've yet to use them in this application*

I wish they mentioned 100A or larger breakers. Could they be used as battery combiners center then?

Cheers!

"The QO, single phase, main lug load centers are SQUARE D CERTIFIED for use on 125 VDC systems. The load centers listed ARE NOT MARKED for use on this voltage system, however are suitable for the application. The positive (+) conductor should be connected to one phase lug, while the negative (-) conductor should be connected to the other phase lug. USE QO, 2p BRANCH BREAKERS ONLY. QO branch breakers, 10 - 70 ampere, are also SQUARE D CERTIFIED for use on 125 Vdc systems. Short circuit current rating is limited to 4 kAIC (10 - 30 A) or 10 kAIC (35 - 70 A) when used on 125 Vdc."

Last edited:
Carling G-Series rated for 80v, has a 12+ week lead time on most sizes
AIC is only 5,000 amps. I'm planning on using the panel mount midnite breakers with 10,000 AIC even though it adds a lot of work for my DIN-centric enclosure. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of 100+ amp non polarized DIN rail breakers a year from now.

My current 24v system is all Square D QO breakers. New 48v system is setup for the narrow width DIN breakers and the charging voltage is over the 48v rating on their single pole breakers. I thought about using a 2 pole as the disconnect at the panels, not sure how much I trust their self certification of 125v DC though...

For a single pole application they are still rated for up 48v which I think is commonly interpreted to mean can't be on systems larger than 36V nominal. I've used them on 12 and 24 volts system for many years.

However in a 2 pole pole application they are rated at up to 125VDC just in case that would be of use to anyone. I wish they mentioned 100A or larger breakers. Could possibly be used as battery combiners center then.

Cheers!

"The QO, single phase, main lug load centers are SQUARE D CERTIFIED for use on 125 VDC systems. The load centers listed ARE NOT MARKED for use on this voltage system, however are suitable for the application. The positive (+) conductor should be connected to one phase lug, while the negative (-) conductor should be connected to the other phase lug. USE QO, 2p BRANCH BREAKERS ONLY. QO branch breakers, 10 - 70 ampere, are also SQUARE D CERTIFIED for use on 125 Vdc systems. Short circuit current rating is limited to 4 kAIC (10 - 30 A) or 10 kAIC (35 - 70 A) when used on 125 Vdc."

Hi OzSolar,

Thanks for the correction on the Sq D QO breaker line DC capabilities.

Historically, it seems that the specs on the DC capabilities of these breakers have been, all over the map. Some of their specs make NO reference to any DC capabilities, and there are Bullitens that try to specifically cover DC operations.

I like and use Sq D QO breakers, almost exclusively, but, only for AC circuits.

Thanks, Luke

Attachments

• Square D Data Bulletin 0601DB0401 DC Rated Breakers.pdf
    182.8 KB · Views: 6
Back