diy solar

diy solar

Mobile 48V solar power system

ChaseW

Would it be possible to use the new EG4-6000XP 48V split phase, off grid inverter in the same way that Will posted using the EG4 mobile 48V solar power system that was built on a Harbor Freight cart? Would like the availability of 120/240V in one inverter instead of having to run two inverters in series.
Thanks,
ChaseT

The issue I'm facing with this is the minimum solar input voltage (120v) required by the EG4-6000xp. The cart might be mobile, but you'd need a fairly significant, not-so-portable array to get charging going. My needs are more like 1-2x month usage - so having a 1-2 smaller panels that take many days to recharge is totally fine - but can't get the input voltage over 120v like that.

The other factor is output. If you don't need to use all 6,000W of output on the inverter - no program (but maybe think about a smaller inverter?). But if you do need all that power - then a single ~5,000Wh server rack battery will be depleted quickly, at a very high amperage rate (~1c or more). You'd really want at least 2 batteries in parallel, if not more.

Thanks for your input. The reaso
The issue I'm facing with this is the minimum solar input voltage (120v) required by the EG4-6000xp. The cart might be mobile, but you'd need a fairly significant, not-so-portable array to get charging going. My needs are more like 1-2x month usage - so having a 1-2 smaller panels that take many days to recharge is totally fine - but can't get the input voltage over 120v like that.

The other factor is output. If you don't need to use all 6,000W of output on the inverter - no program (but maybe think about a smaller inverter?). But if you do need all that power - then a single ~5,000Wh server rack battery will be depleted quickly, at a very high amperage rate (~1c or more). You'd really want at least 2 batteries in parallel, if not more

Thanks for your input. The reason for the 6000W split phase inverter is that I want my well pump to pump only as I need it to, but the majority of the time will only need 110v access. So, 120/220v is required.

I've looked into this a bit myself.

What I've figured is you might be able to use a boost converter to take 2x 40v@10amp (400w) panels and turn their output into 70v@5amp which would then run in series to the MPPT as 140v@5amp. Not ideal, but seems to be the rub with one of these units with such high min voltage. The issue is actually setting up the boosters in series... have to get specific isolated ones, and they're expensive.

Last edited:
@Will Prowse I was about to post another thread about this same topic.
Your vid shows the Eg4 3k all in one. I wanted to go same concept but with the eg4 6k split phase.

@Will Prowse I was about to post another thread about this same topic.
Your vid shows the Eg4 3k all in one. I wanted to go same concept but with the eg4 6k split phase.

Back