diy solar

diy solar

Modify existing grid-tie to off grid.

Don Chel

Hello. I have three parallel systems. Each utilizing 10 550 watt panel and a 6 kw standard grid-tie inverter. I would like to convert my system to partial off-grid with battery backup. My main questions concern the off-grid inverter. Would someone knowledgeable please consult with me? Thank you.

Can you add batteries to your existing inverters? If not, AC coupling (fraught with peril) or replacing your existing inverters would seem to be your options. [I went with the latter]

Add a grid forming inverter, hybrids will do that but then you have to ensure your grid forming inverter can control the grid tie inverters output by say frequency shifting etc when the battery is full.

Add a grid forming inverter, hybrids will do that but then you have to ensure your grid forming inverter can control the grid tie inverters output by say frequency shifting etc when the battery is full.
Ah, yes, AC coupling (fraught with peril). :)

I looked at the manual, and did not see anything about being able to integrate a battery with your Solis S6. I didn't even see a battery connection.

Hello. I have three parallel systems. Each utilizing 10 550 watt panel and a 6 kw standard grid-tie inverter. I would like to convert my system to partial off-grid with battery backup. My main questions concern the off-grid inverter. Would someone knowledgeable please consult with me? Thank you.
You are in Europe? You could use a victron system in parallel and not even have to touch your existing system

I have hybrid Solis inverters.

What are your power requirements when using battery? (both peak usage kW and daily kWh)?

If power requirements are low-ish, then one option could be to upgrade one of your S6-GR1P5K to the hybrid S5-EH1P6K. That would not involve huge changes and will keep using the Solis inverters that you are familar with.

The S5-EH1P6K hybrid works with a large range of 48V battery systems including DIY options. It will provide max of 6kW from solar or solar+battery and up to 5kW from battery alone. There is an AC-backup port for critical loads or it will just contribute to house/grid as needed (like your S6 model does).

The other point to note is that it will charge battery not only from its own solar, but will also take any excess solar (that would otherwise have been exported) from your 2 remaining non-hybrid Solis inverters.

I looked at the manual, and did not see anything about being able to integrate a battery with your Solis S6. I didn't even see a battery connection.
I believe I will have to replace one or more inverters. This project has been a struggle. But I want a portion of my house to be self sufficient when power outages occur. I live on an island susceptible to hurricanes. I am seeking advice from knowledgeable people, not semi- technical like me.

I believe I will have to replace one or more inverters. This project has been a struggle. But I want a portion of my house to be self sufficient when power outages occur. I live on an island susceptible to hurricanes. I am seeking advice from knowledgeable people, not semi- technical like me.
In What country do you live?

I believe I will have to replace one or more inverters.
What is your budget?
Eg4 6000xp $1,400
eg4 lifepower 5kwh $1,200 or indoor powerpro 14kwh $3,200.

Or, sol-ark 8k, and ac couple existing inverters into it. At that point, I would go for the sol-ark 15k.

New growatt 10k sph is worth looking at for $2,500.

Last edited:
What is your budget?
Eg4 6000xp $1,400
eg4 lifepower 5kwh $1,200 or indoor powerpro 14kwh $3,200.

Or, sol-ark 8k, and ac couple existing inverters into it. At that point, I would go for the sol-ark 15k.

New growatt 10k sph is worth looking at for $2,500.
My budget can accommodate whatever makes sense. Thank you for the specific components you listed. I will read about them. I believe I will end up converting 20 of my 550 watt panels to off grid and leave 10 as standard grid tie.

My budget can accommodate whatever makes sense. Thank you for the specific components you listed. I will read about them. I believe I will end up converting 20 of my 550 watt panels to off grid and leave 10 as standard grid tie.
Get the sol-ark 15k. You can put all your panels on it, and it is grid tied.

Also use almost any 48v battery. If you diy battery, if you go 17 or 18 batteries in a pack (vs standard 16), you can get the full 15kw from the battery. 12kw from the battery is based upon 48v nominal. 54.6v actually will get you 15kw.

You can sell your Solis or save to add more solar later.

Nice Setter!
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of good options and advice already.
Seeing you are down South you should be able to easily get a Deye AIO, that would be my first recommendation. Based off personal experience I'd also consider SRNE.
Yes, get the Deye equivalent of the 15k. Not available in the USA, but should be obtainable in Mexico.

diy solar

diy solar
Back