diy solar

diy solar

Monster Solar- Where to start?

murphylawe

Mad Scientist
Hey All,

I have a 1997 Bounder 34J that I am setting up for solar. I am an extreme-boondocker and like long-endurance. My hobbies are gold prospecting and outdoor painting. There are places I go where I can stay until I need to leave. Currently my limiting factors are grey water and fuel for the Genny... she stops when the tank hits half-way and I run it a couple of hours each day, which is loud and sucks.

So solar it is... I also want the ability to run air conditioning, no eye-rolling please. It is nice to be able to cool off in the heat. I have already decided to sacrifice the rear AC and install a Dual-Zone Mini-Split because of energy efficiency. I will keep the forward AC as I do not plan to run the mini-split unless I am parked and with a soft-start the Coleman should keep things cool while rolling. The mini-split is not designed to work bumping down the highway.

Anyway, I have decided use 3 or 4 -Tesla S Battery modules to power this monstrosity and I am considering wiring them up in parallel for a 24v system. Here's the rub... I need 220v for the mini-split and 120v for the coach.

I am interested in the AMPINVT 3000w 24v inverter/charger and I wanted to see if anyone had worked with it. I was looking at the Victron, but their programing wastes a lot of potential because it will not begin charging below 20v. The AMPTINVT is supposed to handle any user settings.

I will also be adding a second, smaller inverter (2000w) to handle the 120v and a buck transformer to go from 24v to 12v. The second inverter and buck transformer will be on a Victron battery protect.

I recently purchased a batch of Canadian Solar 285 Polys used and plan on mounting them on the roof. I am removing my rear AC, an old Vingard satellite dish, and old Vinegard antenna, and some other junk from the roof. I will be putting down a new TPO membrane in a couple of months, just waiting for warm weather (Southern AZ), and I have already calculated I will be able to mount 7-285w solar panels on my roof for a total of 1995watts. I also plan on having an additional 1000w of ground-deployed flexible panels.

Any other guys out there playing with big solar?

Hey All,

I have a 1997 Bounder 34J that I am setting up for solar. I am an extreme-boondocker and like long-endurance. My hobbies are gold prospecting and outdoor painting. There are places I go where I can stay until I need to leave. Currently my limiting factors are grey water and fuel for the Genny... she stops when the tank hits half-way and I run it a couple of hours each day, which is loud and sucks.

So solar it is... I also want the ability to run air conditioning, no eye-rolling please. It is nice to be able to cool off in the heat. I have already decided to sacrifice the rear AC and install a Dual-Zone Mini-Split because of energy efficiency. I will keep the forward AC as I do not plan to run the mini-split unless I am parked and with a soft-start the Coleman should keep things cool while rolling. The mini-split is not designed to work bumping down the highway.

Anyway, I have decided use 3 or 4 -Tesla S Battery modules to power this monstrosity and I am considering wiring them up in parallel for a 24v system. Here's the rub... I need 220v for the mini-split and 120v for the coach.

I am interested in the AMPINVT 3000w 24v inverter/charger and I wanted to see if anyone had worked with it. I was looking at the Victron, but their programing wastes a lot of potential because it will not begin charging below 20v. The AMPTINVT is supposed to handle any user settings.
I clicked the above link, it lead to a 110VAC inverter/charger I checked all the options. If you do get a split phase 220VAC inverter/charger I see no need for a second large inverter as each leg of the split phase inverter already provides 110VAC.
I will also be adding a second, smaller inverter (2000w) to handle the 120v and a buck transformer to go from 24v to 12v. The second inverter and buck transformer will be on a Victron battery protect.

I recently purchased a batch of Canadian Solar 285 Polys used and plan on mounting them on the roof. I am removing my rear AC, an old Vingard satellite dish, and old Vinegard antenna, and some other junk from the roof. I will be putting down a new TPO membrane in a couple of months, just waiting for warm weather (Southern AZ), and I have already calculated I will be able to mount 7-285w solar panels on my roof for a total of 1995watts. I also plan on having an additional 1000w of ground-deployed flexible panels.

Any other guys out there playing with big solar?

Back