diy solar

diy solar

More than 4 Redodo batteries in parallel

VanDesignBuild

Hello,
Just joined the forum. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
We convert ambulances and vans on a part-time basis.

Inherited a build where many components were already purchased.
As part of the solar setup were 6 100amp/hr Redodo LiPo4 batteries.

The goal is hook them up in parallel.

However, according to Redodo tech support, the limit is 4.
When I asked for more detail I got this:
"There is not limit of how many batteries that can be put into a parallel system.
The reason why we advise a 4 batteries limitation is for it will be easier to maintain the balance of the batteries.
For a parallel battery system with more batteries will require the customer have experience in balancing the the batteries and wiring them.
We will advice the customer to do the wiring and connecting under the guidance of certified electrician.
If you want to expand your system to 6 batteries in parallel, there is not limits.
However, you need to well balance all the batteries before connecting them in parallel."

My questions:
1. What does "well balance...before connecting them in parallel" mean in practical terms.
2. We've wired many batteries in parallel. Any tricks / pitfalls we should be aware of?

Thanks,

This is great to know as I had a very similar question that I intended to ask them. The only difference is mine are 24v 100ah. I'm no expert, but the advice I have been given is to balance them, as in make sure they are all the same voltage, and then use a bus bar with equal length cables to connect them all together. My understanding of it is that beyond 4 it is difficult to keep the batteries in the middle in balance with the rest of the cells over time. Again, I am a beginner but, this is what I am doing. I only have 2 batteries at the moment, but intending to add as many as 8 so I got some nice thick copper bus bars I'm hooking them up to instead of wiring the batteries themselves together.

I have been running x10 12v 100ah Redodo Lifepo4 Batteries or x2 in series=24v with 5 sets in parallel (12KW for a year). No problem and almost no rebalancing is needed.
I just purchased 8 more and will now have 9 sets of 24v for a total of almost 22KW. - Harry

Back