diy solar

diy solar

Moving power between battery Banks

tylarson

I currently have a solarc 15 inverter and a 1000ah lead acid 48 volt battery. My old system still has some life in it and I use the inverted power to power a 110ac/48v dc battery charger to move power from the old battery Bank onto the new one on rainy days. Is there a more efficient way of doing this? Is there a DC to DC charger of some sort to eliminate inverting the power back and forth. Or is what I'm doing a reasonable plan?

Looking at just the battery to battery portion, what you're doing is about 75-80% efficient. DC-DC is going to be 85-90% efficient.

Lead acid requires you input about 15% more input than you use due to charging inefficiencies, so you're up against that no matter what.

The more efficient method would likely be to take your old system offline and add the PV/controller to directly charge your main battery.

Otherwise, if it's working for you, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Thank you for the responses, please excuse me ignorance but what is a boost converter? Do you have a recommendation of a specific one to buy?

This forum has been amazingly helpful as usual, thank you so much. I assume going from 24vdc to 120vac and then to to 48vdc is less efficient than simply going from 24vdc to 48vdc? I ordered the victron voltage booster.

This forum has been amazingly helpful as usual, thank you so much. I assume going from 24vdc to 120vac and then to to 48vdc is less efficient than simply going from 24vdc to 48vdc?

Not really.

Now you're maybe 5-15% more efficient in an already inefficient process, per above:

Looking at just the battery to battery portion, what you're doing is about 75-80% efficient. DC-DC is going to be 85-90% efficient.

Lead acid requires you input about 15% more input than you use due to charging inefficiencies, so you're up against that no matter what.

The more efficient method would likely be to take your old system offline and add the PV/controller to directly charge your main battery.

I ordered the victron voltage booster.

Now you're spending $200+ on 400W of charging, and that's not a charger, it's a converter that only puts out a specific voltage you select.

The 24 volt battery bank is being charged by its own solar field going through an Outback charge controller

Is the 24V system actually in use? Why not decommission the system and hook the Outback MX/FM-60/80 to your 48V battery directly and get to 95% efficiency?

My battery fully charges every day, but my minisplit ac doesn't quite make it till morning so I'm trying to increase my battery capacity

My battery fully charges every day, but my minisplit ac doesn't quite make it till morning so I'm trying to increase my battery capacity

You motivation makes more sense now. :)

If nothing is running off the 24V system, turning the inverter off will consume less power as they consume power sitting there even with no loads active.

Thank you for reclarifying what has already been said. Information has been very helpful.

If you time the 24v to 48v transfer for the right time, the power can be used right away, and not be stored in the battery. That will get you a few more % efficiency.

The victron has 2 wire on/off control. If you can tap into the minisplit, it might be able to turn on the victron when it is running.

If you time the 24v to 48v transfer for the right time, the power can be used right away, and not be stored in the battery. That will get you a few more % efficiency.

The victron has 2 wire on/off control. If you can tap into the minisplit, it might be able to turn on the victron when it is running.
This is a really great idea. thank you

Thank you again for all the help you guys. Okay, so I've learned from you that going from 24vdc to 120vac and then back to 48vdc is inefficient but not that big of a deal. If I measure the power going into the charger it's 120 vac/ about 10 amps and when I measure the power coming out of the charger it's 52 vdc at about 10 amps. Does that mean I've lost roughly half the power? Also the meter on the beleeb battery charger says 17 amps at 52 volts are going into the battery. I wonder if I should believe the display on the charger or or my fluke meter. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I learned something interesting, I bought a chargeverter from eg4 and it is extremely efficient compared to the beleeb battery charger that I've been using. The conversion inefficiency has been consistent with what you have posted, thank you for your input or I probably would have been using that inefficient charger for another decade

Back