diy solar

diy solar

Source for assorted power connectors?

jdege

I've decided to replace most of my AC->DC wall warts with custom USB-PD cables. I'm moving onto a boat, and the idea of running my inverter just to provide 120V AC just so my electric razor's wall wart can produce 9V DC for my razor seems wastefully.

USB-PD can provide power at various various voltages and currents, negotiating with the device as to what voltage to present. Devices intended to charge from USB-PD contain the circuit needed to tell the charger what voltage it needs, but these circuits are small and simple, and there are special purpose cables available that contain them.

E.g.:
Tpenod USB C to DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm Power Cord, USB Type C Input to DC 12V Out Charging Cable, Work with PD Charger and PD Power Bank.Output DC 12V 3A Max. Portable for Outdoor Test, Studio and Travel.

My problem is that these cables generally come with specific connectors on the non-USB end that doesn't match my devices. I'm looking to cut them off and to solder on the appropriate connection.

What I'm looking for, then, is a package containing an assortment of power connectors in various sizes, so I can choose the matching one and solder it on to my cable.

And I've not been able to find any.

Ideas where to look?

At 9v, usbc outputs very low amperage.
Be sure your device loads fall within the range.
The way 100W PD output is gained is with higher voltages... 48V i believe.

My electric razor's wall wart outputs 5V at 1.2A. That's typical for the stuff I have that isn't already USB.

My phone, my tablet, and my laptop will all charge at higher voltages, but they negotiate USB-PD directly.

You could use the device specific ends from the wall wart cables, with some Anderson type connectors you'd still be able to use the wall warts easily if need be.

Back