diy solar

diy solar

MPP inverter galvanic isolated?

mrzed001

Voice of reason
Hi !

I have a problem. Here are inverters only allowed if locally certified, or if they are galvanic isolated.
And I do not know if the MPP Solar inverters (like 5048 GMX or MK) are galvanic isolated or not.

Any info ?

MPP Solar's Industrial UPS inverters are galvanic isolated.

If the inverters have a transformer (ACin side) then that is galvanic isolation ... says utility.
The MK is like an online UPS, so it should have a transformer ACin side ?
Or the MPP inverters are transformerless ?

Thanks, I will check the industrial UPS inverters too.

HF designs can be isolated. The switching transformers provide the isolation in the same way that the output transformer in a LF design does. That doesn't mean a given HF inverter uses transformers. It used to be possible to get boost HVDC stages, ie used inductors instead of transformers and yes, people did die. As we've seen in other threads manufacturers do dumb things with wiring too breaking the AC / DC isolation.

AFAIK MPP uses transformers in the HDVC stage but beyond that someone would need to do some testing if MPP doesn't produce any certifications etc.

Although it shouldn't need to be said I'm talking about isolation between the battery / DC / PV side and the AC output. I don't know of any country that requires isolation AC to AC because that makes it impossible for a grid tied inverter to exist since... it's the same wires! Even high voltage non-grid-tied PV (ie what the MPP is) systems use some form of voltage adjustment ie HF transformer (or potentially buck/boost <shudder>) to bring array voltage to DC suitable to PWM generate the AC output.

Last edited:
I think all you wrote was my response to the electric company. I am still waiting they response. Hoping they accept it.
Since the Voltronic infinisolar 5kw hybrid inverter (aka MPP Solar Hybrid 5kW) is certified here ... so I hope.
If not, then I buy an Infinisolar. But that costs 2-3 times the 5048MK. (and not online ups)

Back