diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar / Infinisolar MPI 10k hybrid inverter problem - Error 06 Over temperature

rbprim

On Saturday, February 24, 2024, I put my new hybrid inverter MPI 10k from MPP Solar into operation.
The inverter worked as it should. Has a connection to the SDM 630 Smart Meter, feeds as much energy into the network as is consumed, charges the battery with 60 A, discharges it with 70 A. Everything is wonderful.

Four days later, on February 28, 2024, the inverter reports "Over temperature fault" even though the device and the cooling air (the fans run at full speed at intervals) are cold.

A day later, I carried out further tests.
I performed a factory reset and set the inverter to Grid-tie with backup II mode.
Then I left the inverter running.
Immediately after switching the inverter on, the warning 15 is on. This is because the battery is switched off. During operation, warning 16 and a bit later warning 12 occurs. 16 is I think because of not correct battery settings after the reset. 12 is an over temperature warning.
A little later error 06 over temperature occurs, regardless of whether a load is attached or not, although SolarPower shows a temperature of 18°C internal temperature and 23°C component temperature.

The following is stated in the inverter service manual under Error 06:
"Error 06 means over temperature. Please disconnect the load and restart the inverter to have a check.
If the error still persists even the inverter has cooled down, it means the temperature sensors are wrong.
We have the sensors on main board and DC-DC board. Please contact with us, we will provide a special
firmware for you to diagnose which sensor is wrong."

I am in contact with MPP Solar support (support@mppsolar.com).
They asked for further testing, I have described the test results above.
They now recommend replacing the main board and the DC-DC board:
"It’s recommended that the mainboard and the DC-DC board may need a replacement.
Please provide your shipping address and contact number, so I can give you a quote and invoice shortly."

I hope that they will replace the two boards under warranty because the inverter stopped working after 4 days of operation.

If anyone had the same error and was able to fix it, please report it here so that I can get a working inverter back as quickly as possible. Thanks!

I will continue to report on the case here.

Attachments

• IMG_20240228_192318.jpg
    IMG_20240228_192318.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240228_190539.jpg
    IMG_20240228_190539.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 4
Today I received a message from MPP Solar:

Support discussed this case with the engineers. They said the only way to fix this error was to replace the mainboard and the DC-DC board.

MPP Solar then offered me an offer for these two boards including shipping to Switzerland.
Mainboard: $ 409
DC-DC board: $449
Shipping: $203
Total: $1,061

That's exactly half the price of a new Deye 12k inverter with 5 years warranty!

When you consider that the inverter didn't even last a week, that's unbelievable!
I asked MPP Solar to replace it under warranty or at least reduce the prices of the replacement parts.

I'm looking forward to MPP Solar's response and will continue to report.

Attachments

• 2024-03-05_12-36.png
    2024-03-05_12-36.png
    147 KB · Views: 1
Ouch! Is it the new lvx12kw?
1709736841831.png

That really puts a sting on buying an MPP branded anything, especially without the support of a local and reputable dealer.

Back