diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar LV2424 code 04

Just coming back to the high surge demand for this pump, would a set of super-capacitors in parallel with the inverter be a solution? The super-caps dump the momentary 160A required at startup leaving the inverter then to power the running current?

I am running a similar system can you post your settings screen.
Thanks in advanced!

QUOTE="erik.calco, post: 63706, member: 1890"]
I have my cutoff at 22.6V on my LV2424 with a 2S2P bank of Lion Energy LiFePO4s. I had it cut off successfully without having to reset the BMS on the batteries despite two of my batteries being lower than the other two at that point, at their lowest point based on the built-in LED meter gauge... blinking. I used that opportunity to bottom balance while disconnected from the LV2424. So with them balanced, 22.6V is an even safer cuttoff.

I learned that the unique LED meter in the Lions is a great feature as it appeared to have nothing to do with voltage, but a true capacity measure. I wouldn't of been able to bottom balance with just a voltage meter without going through the full balancing in parallel requiring reconfiguring my batteries. But, cuz the meter reflected capacity, I didn't have to change anything on the bank. I just charged the individual batteries with my 12V AC charger until the meters were all at the same level.
[/QUOTE]

I am running a similar system can you post your settings screen.
Thanks in advanced!
Sure thing. Looking back on April, I raised my cut-off to 22.9 from 22.6. That did work. That is, it was able to disconnect the loads yet still able to charge the bank because it averted a BMS cut-off. That would be specific to your batteries, which are Lion Energy LPE in my bank.

1597177217170.png

Last edited:
Just starting up our two LV2424 in parallel, L1 and L2 at 120v/60Hz setup, LiFePO4 - 200 Ahr. We are playing with settings now!
Just had the "dead at wake-up" this morning and looking to fine tune...
Here is where I am at present, I think I hit hit BMS low voltage cutoff MPP was at 23v and have set it to 24v.

Anything look crazy?

01 - Output source priority SbU
0205 - Solar supply priority bLU
10 - Charger source priority CSO
17 - Bulk charge 28
18 - Float charge 27.5
19 - Low voltage cutoff 24
20 - Bat. stop disc charge when util avail 24.5
21 - Bat. stop charge when util avail 26

Just coming back to the high surge demand for this pump, would a set of super-capacitors in parallel with the inverter be a solution? The super-caps dump the momentary 160A required at startup leaving the inverter then to power the running current?
No need to reinvent the wheel. Pump manufacturers already market startup control boxes with start capacitors the size of your fist.
Ultimately though I think the real problem here is that the system as designed, is just marginal in terms of being able to power the pump. I would double the capacity of the battery, and double the amount of watts.

I'm talking from real-world experience, having run a bigger pump solely via solar for years now.

Anything look crazy?

17 - Bulk charge 28
18 - Float charge 27.5

18 the float is a bit high.
The float should be no higher than the full resting voltage of the battery.
You can set it even lower because the mpp has a re-bulk parameter.

I'll set it (18) down a bit then! Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what "re-bulk" is all about?

I'll set it (18) down a bit then! Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what "re-bulk" is all about?

rebulk is a voltage set point to go back into bulk mode.
Its ok to floast Lifepo4 batteries as long as the float voltage is at or below the full resting voltage.
But its not optimal.
The optimal solution is to charge them up and then discharge them, rinse and repeat.
Depending on your useage model you could disable the float or set it quite low and then let the charge/discharge cycle like a drinking bird.
db100.jpg

Just starting up our two LV2424 in parallel, L1 and L2 at 120v/60Hz setup, LiFePO4 - 200 Ahr. We are playing with settings now!
Just had the "dead at wake-up" this morning and looking to fine tune...
Here is where I am at present, I think I hit hit BMS low voltage cutoff MPP was at 23v and have set it to 24v.

Anything look crazy?

17 - Bulk charge 28
18 - Float charge 27.5
Be careful with 10 CSO. I've seen that setting allow the batteries to drain below the low voltage cutoff. If it sees any PV at all it won't charge from the grid. What happened was as the sun was going down I was only getting 50 or so watts from each array. At the same time my batteries were drawing down under load I was really surprised to see the inverters allow the batteries to draw down past the low voltage disconnect voltage settings. I use SNU and allow the inverters to manage between the grid and solar. Initially it bugged me because it looked like it was drawing from the grid all the time even when I had plenty of solar available. That's not really the case. The LCD looks as though the grid is engaged but it's really just a function of the software. It flips between the grid and solar as necessary and from inverter to inverter as necessary

Good point, @Mac6792 about it not charging from utility when it gets any volts from solar. I only allow utility charging at night and as little as possible, so CSO has worked for me. But, if you only allow it to charge from AC at night, then SNU shouldn't hurt, either. So, comes down to whether or not you want AC charging while you have solar. The more I think about it, the more SNU makes sense as a default.

1599879315612.png

Really appreciate all the info you are all sharing! I'm in on the (10) snu setting...

I've only been up and running a few weeks so far and just noticed the last couple days when playing with settings that setting 01 - Output source priority (solar supplies first), when set to SbU, my lights are flickering and it stops when I switch back to SUb. I only have a multi meter and the LCD on the LV2424's but I think maybe the AC output frequency might be fluctuating when set on SbU. Any thoughts on this?

Really appreciate all the info you are all sharing! I'm in on the (10) snu setting...

I've only been up and running a few weeks so far and just noticed the last couple days when playing with settings that setting 01 - Output source priority (solar supplies first), when set to SbU, my lights are flickering and it stops when I switch back to SUb. I only have a multi meter and the LCD on the LV2424's but I think maybe the AC output frequency might be fluctuating when set on SbU. Any thoughts on this?
I have only ever had it set to

1600366192369.png

and never saw lights flicker.

I found an ION 900 water cooler/filter machine in the building on a circuit I'm running through the LV2424's AC output that is flipping up and down on amperage draw. Flickering stops when I unplug the filter and it stops when I change (01) to SbU to SUb... Calling the guy we rent the water filter from to see come check his filter machine. Here is AC Amp meter real time on the circuit.

Followup - of course, my bad. Turns out the cooler/heater ION 900 uses PWM (?) to try to reduce power consumption when heating water. There is a "water heater" switch on the back of the unit. I turned it off and no more fluctuating amperage readings and the lights quit flickering... We never used hot water from the ION and now never will...

I got so confused a while ago (not that it's improved a lot) I charted the settings from the manual to the "solar power" pc software screens, put the manual / LCD numbers in (##) and matched them to the pc software screen, inverted colors so I could print it on B/W printer... Of course, my settings are not important... May help others?

LV2424 SETTINGS SCREEN WITH NUMBERS BW.jpg

I got so confused a while ago (not that it's improved a lot) I charted the settings from the manual to the "solar power" pc software screens, put the manual / LCD numbers in (##) and matched them to the pc software screen, inverted colors so I could print it on B/W printer... Of course, my settings are not important... May help others?

View attachment 27105
Thanks! That's awesome. I put it in the wiki here.

I'm struggling to understand why you would want to set a low voltage cut-off above 24V. A battery voltage of 24V would indicate a state of charge of around 50-60%, why would you want your inverter to cut-off above this?
just studying this thread. My chart for LiFePO4 SOC vs various Voltages show 24.0 volts = SOC of 9.50% ... on LiFePO4 setups, but see somebody mentioning Gel Cell in post above.

Back