diy solar

diy solar

MPPT heat issues

48Rob

I am looking at Ebay auctions checking "sold" prices for controllers. I am not interested in purchasing anything used, but several sold, used controllers popped up. Most every used model looked like it had been very warm, with discoloration of the paint/finish on the controller. (Photo as an example)
I have chosen the Victron brand, and wonder if the people that used these- which show heat marks, mis-used them, didn't ventilate the area they were mounted in, or does this happen to all controllers?

Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
I am looking at Ebay auctions checking "sold" prices for controllers. I am not interested in purchasing anything used, but several sold, used controllers popped up. Most every used model looked like it had been very warm, with discoloration of the paint/finish on the controller. (Photo as an example)
I have chosen the Victron brand, and wonder if the people that used these- which show heat marks, mis-used them, didn't ventilate the area they were mounted in, or does this happen to all controllers?

Thanks
I had a Victron 150/70 and a 150/45 for about a year.They never get hot enough to discolor like that,they look brand new.That one looks like it either had very undersized cables or they were too loose and overheated.

Thanks

It was used laying down flat instead of mounting it vertical as designed.

Some hack bought a bunch for an experiment and wants to get rid of them now.

Thanks to both of you.

Seems to me it wouldn't hurt anything (other than the power draw on the system) to have a small fan running in the component cabinet/area during daylight charging hours to keep the controller cooler, and allow better efficiency.

After posting this question last night, I found this post that suggests a fan might be a good idea.

Back