diy solar

diy solar

Heat battery (sunamp type)

DLH

DIY Solar Power Forum

Sunamp dual purpose?​

Sunamp dual purpose? Does anyone have any knowledge regarding using sunamp/heat battery for providing both hot water and feeding the house radiators?

My specific questions are:

1. Would I need separate sunamps...so one for DHW and one for space heating or would a larger capacity sunamp be able to cope...I am not sure if sunamp have dual pathways built in them for a DHW feed and a radiator feed.
2. If this is indeed possible how long would it take to deplete the sunamp in space heating mode. My thoughts are it would initially deplete quickly until the the return was heated up then deplete slower after that. Obviously in DHW circumstances the return or input into the sunamp is always mains cold water but surely a sunamp used for radiators would have a warm circuit after the initial first circle. The average central heating system holds around 115 litres so a sunamp design as a replacement for a 200 litre hot water tank wouldn't be depleted straight away by the radiator water circulation?
3. Again if this was possible wouldn't this solution negate the use of ASHP...unless you wanted to utilise their cooling capabilities? I'm thinking that a combination of something like Octopus Go off peak tariff, PV and PV batteries could work out very cost effective. Charge everything up using the off peak rate then recharge later in the day using the off peak stored in the PV battery or by the sun if your array is adequate in the colder months.
There must be a catch to this.... surely a boffin has already ruled this solution out. The problem would be getting the radiators up to heat to avoid quick depletion but this could be done as part of the the off peak charging period?
I just feel that the current situation of getting ASHP installed is a massive cash cow for installers who are using the £5k gov grant to extort Joe Public - I'd be interested to see the profit involved in each installation.

1. Would I need separate sunamps...so one for DHW and one for space heating or would a larger capacity sunamp be able to cope...I am not sure if sunamp have dual pathways built in them for a DHW feed and a radiator feed.
2. If this is indeed possible how long would it take to deplete the sunamp in space heating mode. My thoughts are it would initially deplete quickly until the the return was heated up then deplete slower after that. Obviously in DHW circumstances the return or input into the sunamp is always mains cold water but surely a sunamp used for radiators would have a warm circuit after the initial first circle. The average central heating system holds around 115 litres so a sunamp design as a replacement for a 200 litre hot water tank wouldn't be depleted straight away by the radiator water circulation?
3. Again if this was possible wouldn't this solution negate the use of ASHP...unless you wanted to utilise their cooling capabilities? I'm thinking that a combination of something like Octopus Go off peak tariff, PV and PV batteries could work out very cost effective. Charge everything up using the off peak rate then recharge later in the day using the off peak stored in the PV battery or by the sun if your array is adequate in the colder months.
There must be a catch to this.... surely a boffin has already ruled this solution out. The problem would be getting the radiators up to heat to avoid quick depletion but this could be done as part of the the off peak charging period?
I just feel that the current situation of getting ASHP installed is a massive cash cow for installers who are using the £5k gov grant to extort Joe Public - I'd be interested to see the profit involved in each installation.
Have you looked at the use-cases on the Sunamp site? It looks like they make modules for heating water for heating, heating water for hot water

And, given they are within 300 miles of you, on the same island, did you consider picking up the phone?

Have you looked at the use-cases on the Sunamp site? It looks like they make modules for heating water for heating, heating water for hot water

And, given they are within 300 miles of you, on the same island, did you consider picking up the phone?
Thank you for the first part of your reply.

I was hoping that someone would offer genuine first hand experience of the product.

I wasn't expecting someone with clearly too much time on their hands to go out of their way to belittle a sincere request for further information.

Seriously, you have THE BEST resource available to you at the end of a phone call and you think suggesting that you ring them is belittling?

I'm not sure you have the temperament for asking questions.

Seriously, you have THE BEST resource available to you at the end of a phone call and you think suggesting that you ring them is belittling?

I'm not sure you have the temperament for asking questions.
Let me show you the way......

You - MyK3y
Hi, I have been on the Sunamp website and I see there are examples on there that show different applications of how the product can be used. It can be found under the use-cases section. Have a look through that and if that doesn't help try giving the company a call. Hope that helps.

Me.... Thanks very much for your reply. I did initially look through the Sunamp website but I must have missed the use-cases section. I have scoured YouTube for examples of what I am looking at but there's plenty of examples of the product providing hot water but not anything as far as I can see that shows how it can provide space heating. Once again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Anyone can be nasty but life would be miserable. Try being nice and helpful and you never know your life might improve.

Back