diy solar

diy solar

MPPT SCC Recommendations

TheGriz

More Power Scottie!!!
Hi Folks,

My "portable" Solar system is in final assembly. Just need one more very critical component...the Solar Charge Controller. The options are many, and my experience is very limited. So, I am asking for recommendations.

A few details first. The battery pack is the Xuba 280 12V LFP pack with the Chargery BMS8T. The Inverter is the Edecoa 3500/7000, however I only plan on using maybe 2500 watts of it (purposely overbought because of a near disaster prior experience with cheap POS inverter). Lastly will be using up to four 100 watt solar panels for total 400 watts.

I am budget minded, but don't want to be dollar foolish. So I am not looking for the bells and whistles, unless needed. I did some research and and am leaning toward EPever's 30 amp MPPT controller for $95:

Thoughts??? Anything less expensive that will do the job? Is this a quality SCC? Am I buying the right size at 30 amps? Should I go with a Renogy equivalent? All feedback appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Just because you won't be using 3,500W doesn't mean that you shouldn't spec your system for 3,500W, and 3,500W is more than I would ever recommend for a 12V battery system. Even 2,500W is an awful lot of current to be drawing from a 12V battery (208A), requiring at least 2/0AWG cable and high quality fuses/breakers etc.

With respect to the SCC, I've not heard anything bad, I mean they are a budget brand but it's technically a good match for your array.

Unless you have any partial shading issues, I would recommend connecting all four panels in series (4S1P) for circa 86.4V to minimise cost on your PV cabling.

I don't know whether 400W PV is sufficient for your needs because you haven't mentioned your consumption.

Hi Folks,

My "portable" Solar system is in final assembly. Just need one more very critical component...the Solar Charge Controller. The options are many, and my experience is very limited. So, I am asking for recommendations.

A few details first. The battery pack is the Xuba 280 12V LFP pack with the Chargery BMS8T. The Inverter is the Edecoa 3500/7000, however I only plan on using maybe 2500 watts of it (purposely overbought because of a near disaster prior experience with cheap POS inverter). Lastly will be using up to four 100 watt solar panels for total 400 watts.

I am budget minded, but don't want to be dollar foolish. So I am not looking for the bells and whistles, unless needed. I did some research and and am leaning toward EPever's 30 amp MPPT controller for $95:

Thoughts??? Anything less expensive that will do the job? Is this a quality SCC? Am I buying the right size at 30 amps? Should I go with a Renogy equivalent? All feedback appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
I purchased the same epever 30amp and so far I am pleased. I added the MT50 and I really like the monitoring it does! But, I’m only in testing phase of my portable system. So take my info with a little grain of salt.

I have the same charge controller. It is great. It can handle 400 watts max on 12 volts and be pass through. It can be
over paneled to where is limits the currant to 400 watts but for a longer time. max solar voltage is around 50 volts.
There is also a logging device that will allow a computer and the MT50 connected at the same time.
Withe the mt50 or software you can control near ever setting needed.

I have the same charge controller. It is great. It can handle 400 watts max on 12 volts and be pass through. It can be
over paneled to where is limits the currant to 400 watts but for a longer time. max solar voltage is around 50 volts.
There is also a logging device that will allow a computer and the MT50 connected at the same time.
Withe the mt50 or software you can control near ever setting needed.
I’m still learning the MT50. Is there a way to have a low voltage alarm setting that’s manually adjustable? I haven’t been able to figure that out if so but I’ll be taking another look at the manual.

The setting is called low volt disconnect.
The low volt reconnect is when the load is tuned back on.
They are one of the last ones on the menu
I use the computer program with a cable to monitor the controller and adjust the settings

diy solar

diy solar
Back