diy solar

diy solar

Multipluss balance of system, and how would you “hook up”?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
I’m making up my shopping list of cables, inlets, outlets, cords, etc. not sure the “best” way to hook things up. I have some ideas, and questions, and perhaps silly concerns.

Just would like some input. Maybe I missed something, or didn’t consider future usage, etc.

Victron multipluss 48/3000/35-50
Trophy 48v 100ah battery
Champion 3650wh,gen with 3 prong 30a twist, and 20a outlets.
Eg4 “chargeverter”. **intent is to use this as primary charger but I don’t trust it yet, so multi used as inverter and charging backup**

Think of this set not as a solar system but rather a diy ecoflo. Battery gets us through a weekend of cabin. Charge when needed.

Cabin is also used by others. I don’t want them using my stuff all the time so an alternate power setup is needed for them. (Honda inverter gen)

There is no grid. Cabin is one circuit that terminates into a plug. Cabin either plugs into the current Honda, or my own system.

Here are my thoughts. I’m mainly,concerned with how to hook up the Victron as we will keep the “cabin plug” for now so that the others can use the Honda.

To connect my gen to the multi I can either wire a 20a extention cord into the ac input, or I can wire a 30a receptical to the input and use a generator extention cord. I,don’t need 30a, but would do so for a nice clean instal.

Extention cord will also work but no way to disconnect, and im concerned about stranded wire into the spring terminals of the Victron.

For the ac output im thinking of a small panel, 15a breaker, and then into a 20a outlet with 2 receptacles. I’ll disable the ground bond in the Victron and bond in the panel.

This way I,can “plug” into my system when we are there, and they can “plug” into the Honda when we are gone.

Any other way that would make more sense?

In case people wonder , im limiting ac input to 20A, and the cabin is wired with,14/2 thus the 15a breaker.

I’m making up my shopping list of cables, inlets, outlets, cords, etc. not sure the “best” way to hook things up. I have some ideas, and questions, and perhaps silly concerns.

Just would like some input. Maybe I missed something, or didn’t consider future usage, etc.

Victron multipluss 48/3000/35-50

MP or MP-II?

Trophy 48v 100ah battery
Champion 3650wh,gen with 3 prong 30a twist, and 20a outlets.
Eg4 “chargeverter”. **intent is to use this as primary charger but I don’t trust it yet, so multi used as inverter and charging backup**

I would pass on this. You just don't need it. Your battery is likely best charged at no more than 50A, and the 35A of the MP should suffice on such a small battery.

I'm pretty foggy right now, and I'm not following on the connection options.

MP or MP-II?

I would pass on this. You just don't need it. Your battery is likely best charged at no more than 50A, and the 35A of the MP should suffice on such a small battery.

I'm pretty foggy right now, and I'm not following on the connection options.

MPll

I know I don’t NEED the chargeverter, it’s just cool, and no harm in a spare charger.

Just looking for a way to get power from generator into MPll. Either extention cord hard wired, or generator inlet hard wired? Or other??

Back