diy solar

diy solar

My 1st horrible video review of our humble set-up- Feel free to point out failures for others & myself :)

farmhand

Solar Enthusiast
Will will be shaking his head saying "this is not what I'm teaching here" lol

Honestly though, for my sake and others please feel free to point out fails in this system*

I watched the entire video, thanks!
Hoping you will not be offended if someone says your batteries stink. Are you currently using the outhouse for its original purpose?

Really appreciate your documenting such a clean install.

Wondering if the panels are very securely installed so that wind coming from the north will not catch the exposed end and scare the chickens. Also thinking some rain will be running down that short south slope of the roof (under the panels) and wondering if the runoff will hit the junction boxes. Unlikely it would be an issue but worth checking down the road?

Being a lowly unknown, far be it for me to question your bad weather setup (you asked for alternate ideas) but just thinking that given the sometimes willy nilly behavior of lightning, that in-the-house shut off might benefit getting some more help by using surge protection devices (or do you have them already?)

We lost an expensive home inverter last summer, with 13 year old SPD’s (using inferior tech compared to today) that did trip breakers… We can get some horrendous hits where we live.

I watched the entire video, thanks!
Hoping you will not be offended if someone says your batteries stink. Yes, but we couldn't wait so went cheap :). Are you currently using the outhouse for its original purpose? We do have a flusher inside the houses, but yes the outhouse is still used for chores so not to need to come inside.

Really appreciate your documenting such a clean install. It could be cleaner, but a poor man does a poor man's way ;)

Wondering if the panels are very securely installed so that wind coming from the north will not catch the exposed end and scare the chickens. Stainless 2" L brackets down front, unistrut in the back, very stout & has testing the winds for a year now awaiting parts. Also thinking some rain will be running down that short south slope of the roof (under the panels) and wondering if the runoff will hit the junction boxes. The PV Comibiner & Disconnect are both outdoor rated, not permitted as it's "an appliance", but once an inverter gets hardwired I'll have to get stamped. Unlikely it would be an issue but worth checking down the road?

Being a lowly unknown, far be it for me to question your bad weather setup (you asked for alternate ideas) but just thinking that given the sometimes willy nilly behavior of lightning, that in-the-house shut off might benefit getting some more help by using surge protection devices (or do you have them already?). The PV Combiner box has single-use surge packs that hook directly to a new rod. We can always disconnect at the Coop, but who wants to do this in the rain in the middle of the night, so better than not ;)

We lost an expensive home inverter last summer, with 13 year old SPD’s (using inferior tech compared to today) that did trip breakers… We can get some horrendous hits where we live. Our 33' windmill tower has been slammed 7x over the years, which messes with stuff on the data network but never anything else.
Thanks for the questions & interest, it's been years in the making

Back