diy solar

diy solar

My generator battery froze

I bought the cable from Honda although I had made one before theirs came in, but there is a plug on the generator which is removed and the cable replaces it . The other end has 5 wires coming out. Gnd, start, Key, +12v & run status.
They have a wifi equivalent, but I don’t have wifi. Lol
it works very well.

The clamp meter is a good idea.

Thanks

Last edited:
Off topic.

How does your automatic start tie into the generator?
It’s a Honda generator and there is a plug I remove and replace with another plug/cable (available from Honda).
The plug/wire gives access to +12v, Gnd, Key, Start and Run sensor At the generator
with these states you can request the inverter to start your generator when the battery voltage drops below min value (the device I use is a ME-AGS-N)
‘Many inverter companies make custom AGS for this very reason. Mine is specific to a Magnum inverter.
There are generic AGS for inverters if one is not specifically available.
It sounds complicated but really isn’t. The inverter sense low voltage and request generator to start . AGS has checks and balances in place to test; it’s started, it won’t start and to stop it when voltage potential has been reached
If you just want to start the generator remotely, Honda has something for that.

It’s a Honda generator and there is a plug I remove and replace with another plug/cable (available from Honda).
The plug/wire gives access to +12v, Gnd, Key, Start and Run sensor At the generator
with these states you can request the inverter to start your generator when the battery voltage drops below min value (the device I use is a ME-AGS-N)
‘Many inverter companies make custom AGS for this very reason. Mine is specific to a Magnum inverter.
There are generic AGS for inverters if one is not specifically available.
It sounds complicated but really isn’t. The inverter sense low voltage and request generator to start . AGS has checks and balances in place to test; it’s started, it won’t start and to stop it when voltage potential has been reached
If you just want to start the generator remotely, Honda has something for that.

So expanding on this info, I assume you just apply 12V to the "start" pin on the connector and the generator already has functions built in for conducting the rest of the starting process I.E. when to stop the starter from cranking, choke (I think the 7k is fuel injected though) etc.

Is this correct?

And to shut it off you do what? Remove 12V from the "start" pin?

What does the "key" pin do?

I use a 3k Yamaha with homebrew start. Packaging needs a bit of refinement which I'll conduct in a couple weeks when I go out there.

My gen battery does ok but I want it to trickle charge off the solar anyway so, as part of the refinement, I purchased a trailer breakaway battery charger.

It's as simple as a diode and resistor. It will keep battery juice from flowing out of the Gen battery back into the solar batteries and keeps too many Amps from flowing from the solar battery to the generator and overloading the wires that travel from the solar batteries to the Gen enclosure.

The 120 gallon fuel tank has an rv generator fuel pump and water separator. The fuel pump receives it's power from the 12v battery charge output on the generator.

Upcoming project: "Alexa, turn on generator"

Last edited:
'check this out'... looks like very tight setup... only thing missing is some diesel! ?
did I read that those yamaha can be converted to run on propane/nat gas?

'check this out'... looks like very tight setup... only thing missing is some diesel! ?
did I read that those yamaha can be converted to run on propane/nat gas?
Yes, they can. Probably my next "upgrade". Albeit, I just want to enjoy it for it's recreational value for now. Tired of work and want to play.

So expanding on this info, I assume you just apply 12V to the "start" pin on the connector and the generator already has functions built in for conducting the rest of the starting process I.E. when to stop the starter from cranking, choke (I think the 7k is fuel injected though) etc.

Is this correct?

And to shut it off you do what? Remove 12V from the "start" pin?

What does the "key" pin do?
12v is sent thru the start. The key is to acknowledge that a start is request. In this way if the key is not in the generator and turn on , it will not start. Because it is remote you must leave the key in the on position which would drain the bat so the AGS remotely turns off the generator with an electronic switch circumventing the mechanical swt on at the generator.

Ok, very interesting. So you have a system configured a certain way and you need to work within that.
It needs to stay outside as it starts so frequently.
Does that 1.5 hour run time happen at approximately the same time each day? Could you set a timer then, for an hour ahead of when the generator normally starts in order to bring up the temp only when you need it?
What time of the day is that 1.5 hour run time usually?

Do you have enough solar during the day if it is sunny? Is there excess? Could that small green house shelter that you make with poly like this or 'tuff ex' panels (you can order through homehardware) be enough to warm some solar mass (55 gallon drum) beside the generator (and ground insulated with some 2 inch foam)

Why do you think this started happening after the last 3 years went fine?
How old is the current battery?
How many feet away is the nearest heated space?
How do you heat your off grid palace?
It is not starting now because of the extreme cold temperature (coldest ever, one recorded cold day). Also the battery is probably getting old.
The neares heated space is 50’
i heat with propane.

I agree with supertech.

Can you send us a photo of the generator enclosure - and also the rating plate on the generator?

What weight of engine oil are you running in generator?

Is the generator air cooled, or liquid cooled?

In very cold situations a combination of aids are often needed for generators to start, these could include:
- oil pan heater
- battery heater/blanket
- engine coolant for water cooled engine
- intake air pre-heat (once you give more info on your set up)
- fully synthetic engine oil
- insulation for battery and generator enclosure
- battery charger/maintainer

a bigger battery that is charged as mentioned before will overcome most of the problems....
the info on the generator size and type and space inside enclosure will help.

do you speak a different first language than french?
I speak only English.

If you do end up running a larger battery make sure the holes where the cables pass through into the Gen are well-sealed.

1) Inverter gens rely on drafts being pulled through specific holes to keep the Inverter cool.

2) You don't want mice getting inside the housing and chewing, peeing and pooping on things and packing it full of flammable junk.

-50.... just buy a huge ass truck battery, you know like the ones that they are using downtown right now?

If this is your daily use system and you don't want to go outside and mind it ( I like going out to mind mine , especially when the witches are frozen to their brooms in mid air..) then spend $300 and buy the biggest 12v starting battery you can get and a 1/0 booster cable set or bigger and connect it to your factory battery. Put the big battery in a cooler if you don't want to build and insulated box. You might have to bring it in side to charge it once a week. Or add an extra battery charger that is plugged into the generator convenience plug that is connected to the battery. I.e. generator starts, and battery charges. I like the no co kind from canadian tire.

so..
cooler from walmart of canadian tire - you could even get the styrofoam one.
battery charger
think big battery... BIG
then get a bigger one.

Remember their trucks are starting in the cold.. and so can your honda that could!truck.jpg

Back