new here and I'll try and make this as short and concise as I can

just finished installing an enphase system
47 longi 500 watt panels
47 IQ8A micro inverters
100 amp load center
combiner 4
controller 2
IQ10T batteries times 2

batteries can be charged by solar or grid through the smart switch controller 2 which ever you select
on the app
controller 2 has generator input for battery charging and system operation but it needs to be an approved by enphase
hard wired generator with auto stop start.. enphase doesn't want to talk about portable generators for battery charging.. they either don't respond or say "refer
to our list of approver generators" also that function can only be activated by enphase and an installer..

what I'm trying to accomplish is to recharge my IQ10's in an extended outage and poor wx, short days etc by utilizing a portable generator, coupled into my main breaker panel and feeding through the smart switch controller as though the generator is actually the grid..
right now the smart switch is feeding a second panel with essential loads only and has a manual switch to utilize a generator to save battery power for night time or in case the batteries become depleted and safety shut down at !0% SOC..

I realize I'll have to shut down my manual grid disconnect as well as my PV disconnect as well.. and probably the breaker that feeds the PV from the grid in the load center.. all that is not an issue..
likewise I would assume that a portable generator that would accomplish this would need to be an inverter type generator.. I'm hoping that I could get away with a 3 to 5Kw unit as it would only be charging the batteries, nothing else.. my old 10KW non inverter harbour freight unit is what I plug in for the essential loads when required..

appreciate any thoughts

what I'm trying to accomplish is to recharge my IQ10's in an extended outage and poor wx, short days etc by utilizing a portable generator, coupled into my main breaker panel and feeding through the smart switch controller as though the generator is actually the grid..

Is this consistent with the instructions for generator charging your IQ10 batteries? I'm guessing the answer is HELL NO!!!!!

Any grid forming source must be capable of performing frequency shifting to force the GT inverters to regulate. When GT inverters see available grid (60Hz), they don't regulate... they just hammer the grid with whatever they can output. Grid forming sources alter the frequency up or down to instruct the GT inverters to reduce output or disconnect completely.

Your approach will not work, but it may be a fantastic way to let the magic smoke out of multiple components.

If you disconnect the microinverters, it might work.

my intent was to completely shut down all the PV system , breakers and disconnect switch..
in essence it would be generator into the controller 2 and then into the batteries.. in essence letting the controller 2 be the charger powered by the generator..
at the end of the day my quest could be academic.. I'm on that "what if, what if" scenario.. I may never encounter the situation I'm trying to plan for..
I guess what I'm not able to follow is how the hard wired "approved generator" that enphase integrates into the controller 2 would function..

I hate it when the smoke gets out..

my intent was to completely shut down all the PV system , breakers and disconnect switch..
in essence it would be generator into the controller 2 and then into the batteries.. in essence letting the controller 2 be the charger powered by the generator..
at the end of the day my quest could be academic.. I'm on that "what if, what if" scenario.. I may never encounter the situation I'm trying to plan for..
I guess what I'm not able to follow is how the hard wired "approved generator" that enphase integrates into the controller 2 would function..

I hate it when the smoke gets out..

I think it's worth going down the "approved generator path" until you have gathered enough info where you can substitute your own unit. :)

I've read all of that thx..
I guess the problem my feeble brain is having trouble digesting is what is the difference between the grid supplying the 240 volts
or a good quality generator utilizing the same input location.. some of the inverter generator manufacturers advertise their output power being "clean" and no different than grid power..

also the "hardwired" generators on the approved list are all fairly substantial units and provide more capability than just
charging the batteries (which is all I want to accomplish)
like wise they're all propane or natural gas (I need diesel) noise is not an issue..
I don't really have a good location to install not to mention the hard wired units are three to four times the cost of a good portable..

Back