diy solar

diy solar

mystery grid spikes

bwpsg42

I currently have 2 EG4 6000XP inverters, connected to 3 LL4 batteries and the 12 485w panels. The panels are arranged in 3 arrays of 4 panels each. 1 inverter has a single array attached and the other 2. I've done this in order to study the effect of any differential shading and direction. The inverters are in parallel mode with shared battery. The batteries connect to buss bars with #6 cables about 6 ft long. Inverters to the buss bar with shorter lengths of #4. The AC output of each inv feed into a combiner panel and from there to a load panel at the house, #4 through a breaker. 240V grid power comes in to the equipment room from the houses main panel to a smaller load box where it is shared with the two inverters through 30A breakers. The loads, which have been removed from the house's grid system, at this time are a mini split, a 15A cct for kitchen outlets, and a 15A circuit for a home entertainment system.
My question:
In the attached screen shot from solar assistant, even though the system batteries are at 100%, there are occasional drops in system voltage on the order of seconds, or parts of seconds, that trigger the inverters to connect grid for that short period. Occasionally this has triggered a restart of my TV, even though it is connected through its own UPS. None of this is reflected on the EG4 monitor system as it lack the granularity. Can you help me to understand this and whether or not I should seek some solution,

Attachments

• solar assistant screen grab.pdf
    420.5 KB · Views: 10
I didn't open your pdf, you can upload images...
Is the setting for bypass on overload enabled or disabled?

Edit - welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. I've done all my setup work through the eg4 monitor and don't see that. Where would I look, thanks for looking at this. Here is the image attached. What should it be set to if it is something that need to be set on the inverter panel. I 'll look at it tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 5.48.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 5.48.17 PM.png
    413 KB · Views: 6
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. I've done all my setup work through the eg4 monitor and don't see that. Where would I look, thanks for looking at this. Here is the image attached. What should it be set to if it is something that need to be set on the inverter panel. I 'll look at it tomorrow.
It's set through the inverter panel. I don't remember the setting number but it was bypass on overload or something along those lines. You want that setting disabled.
Looking at the graph I'm not sure that's the issue since your loads are low but it's the only thing I can think of that would charge it.
Have you tried turning the grid breaker off completely to see how it behaves?

Also please note your battery cables seem rather undersized after re -reading your post.

diy solar

diy solar
Back