diy solar

diy solar

Near Ocean- Coastal - Salt Water Exposure Installation?

archjeb

Folks,

I'm thinking about a solar install at a coastal home that is near the Pacific Ocean and will be exposed to salty air. It is in direct view of the ocean (elevated) although inland a couple of blocks from the ocean. Still, the potential for higher corrosion exists. So my question here relates to concerns, issues with this kind of installation. Is it even advised?

I assume all wire should be tinned and connections sealed to reduce the likelihood of wire corrosion?
All Stainless fasteners?

How about the panels themselves? Can they even withstand the exposure long-term? Do the connectors on the panels handle salty environments?

I should add, the wind gust rating for this location is 135MPH.

Thoughts? Concerns? Experiences?

Thanks in advance.

-J

As a former Floridian and now in California, this is what I know: solar panels are anodized aluminum frames and the cells encapsulated. The warranties do not exclude certain geographical locations. So this should not be an issue. However, over time, you are going to need to keep them washed off to prevent salt residue buildup.

The MC4 connectors between panels are waterproof, but also use dielectric grease in them.

Use PV rated wire from the panels into the combiner box. You can use a PVC combiner box as long as all wiring is properly grounded. Outdoors, you use PVC conduit. Indoors for DC carrying wires, metallic conduits are required. Aluminum works well here and you can paint it. When grounding al of your solar panels make certain the panel ground connector is green or certified to dig into the panel frame past the anodized surface. Then make sure the copper ground wire does not come in contact with the panel frame. By and large you can use aluminum racks for the panels rather than strut and even paint any galvanized steel. Use a good metal primer like Dunn Edwards has. If you really have to install steel, then you can coat the steel with a product system like POR15 and it will prevent rust.

Any outdoor screws and nails should be stainless wherever possible and other materials used rather than iron. Your system will be just fine.

I helped a friend in Puerto Rico install some solar on his place that while not on the beach was an easy walk to it.

I was amazed by how badly corroded all of his electrical was. The buss bar in the main breaker box inside his house was so bad I really thought it was going to disintegrate from adding and moving breakers around but somehow it didn't.

His inverter's manual had a note "do not install within 1000' of ocean".

diy solar

diy solar
Back