diy solar

diy solar

Need a bit of direction please for system design/ components

ProtonWH

6-8K hybrid grid buy back inverter with non-proprietary DIY 48v battery backup @ 20kWh daily usage (x3days) with 4800-5100W of total solar divided in 2 arrays of 6 panels @ approx. 300Voc each. As you can see I have an educated understanding of my usage and basic design, however I hit a wall with "all in one" inverters that can do everything as most are proprietary for their batteries, or pay out the nose for a SolarArk... I'm open to ac coupling even though its old school and maybe if I wait new tech will come out for "hybrids" and cost will come down. Honestly looking to accomplish this for as cheaply without sacrificing stability and performing the work myself, your suggestions PLEASE! Thank you.

Many AiO inverter brands do offer a line of their own compatible batteries that can communicate with the inverter. However, communication is not necessary as the battery management functions can be configured as Voltage based settings for virtually any brand or DIY battery.

Many AiO inverter brands do offer a line of their own compatible batteries that can communicate with the inverter. However, communication is not necessary as the battery management functions can be configured as Voltage based settings for virtually any brand or DIY battery.
Thanks @BentlyJ, looking at the EG4 8KEXP-240V, but Will P sure wasn't impressed. I wonder if it has improved, or if you have something else to suggest in that price point...

I'm a Schneider 6848 user so don't have any first hand experience with any of the value priced inverters but would stay away from the 8K based on Will's experience. Sungold, SRNE, Growatt, MPP Solar. Your choices have to be based on your needs, 240/120V Split phase vs. 120V only as well as specific feature sets such as Time of Use compatibility or UL compliance if your local building dept has to approve it.

I'm actually surprise that the only offering is the Sol-Ark 15k that does everything, grid buy back, MPPT, 240v split, auto transfer switch, non-proprietary battery back-up, etc. I'm in town so complete off grid is not desirable. I'd like ToU and potentially solar boost EV level 2 charger in the future... Any other offerings I'm missing? Maybe I need to wait a bit as it seems the industry is going in that direction... Dang it I want it ALL!

I'm actually surprise that the only offering is the Sol-Ark 15k that does everything, grid buy back, MPPT, 240v split, auto transfer switch, non-proprietary battery back-up, etc. I'm in town so complete off grid is not desirable. I'd like ToU and potentially solar boost EV level 2 charger in the future... Any other offerings I'm missing? Maybe I need to wait a bit as it seems the industry is going in that direction... Dang it I want it ALL!
The EG4 18kpv is very comparable to the sol-ark15k. Although the sol-ark does have more UL9540 listed battery options. I believe both have some ToU features as well.

Buy once, cry once and build a system that will just work when complete, without you having to baby and tinker with every minute detail ad-nauseam. Do what I did and bite the bullet on the SA-15 K. Many other threads on here with direct experience with both inverters will point you the same direction.

Buy once, cry once and build a system that will just work when complete, without you having to baby and tinker with every minute detail ad-nauseam. Do what I did and bite the bullet on the SA-15 K. Many other threads on here with direct experience with both inverters will point you the same direction.
Fair enough! Thanks

Fair enough! Thanks
SA has also recently reduced prices across the board some $800-1000 on the 15k from the previous year and there are deals and specials run frequently from major suppliers with 5-10% off, free shipping etc. SA products are now more competitive than ever.

OK how about this...grid tie inverter (Growatt 6kW Grid-Tie Inverter | MIN 6000TL-X, $750) to auto transfer switch (Generac, $450 used) with 100amp LC with a EG4 6000xp connected to the ATS generator input side with my 48v batteries connected to the EG4, and solar to the Growatt. Grid goes down- ATS transfers to EG4 with batteries which is now island from the grid, EG4 generates a sine wave, Growatt detects sine wave and starts putting power to LC from solar which charges the batteries via EG4. Still is about half the cost of a SA 15K! With grid power up, the ATS allows the Growatt to sell back excess power when the batteries connected to the EG4 are charged by ether solar or grid power I used via my credits...

Sol-Ark = Deye Inverter
SS 18K = LuxPower Inverter
Most of the other EG4 products are Voltronics.

MPP Solar (also Voltronics)has gone downhill (in my opinion) since the LV6548's, and you need two of those in parallel for 240V.

Schnieder and SMA are expensive, but rock solid and handle surges very well.

Victron products are very good, but require multiple external options to get the same value as an All In One. ( Schnieder and SMA need external components also)

I have not seen much Outback here, but those are also an option.

I have SMA and MPP Solar in an AC coupled environment, with DIY Seplos batteries. Works ok, but if I were to do it again from scratch, I think I would have either gone Luxpower AIO, or SMA Sunny Boy / SMA Sunny Island combo.

Back