diy solar

diy solar

Need Advice: Cargo mounted solar system

501SpeedCrew

Here we go. I have had a 16-foot cargo trailer that I work in a lot and run a 120v mini split and it kills my batteries. Here is my setup, and I need more solar power. What's the best way to update this system?

Unit 1
6 x 100-watt solar panels
1 Renogy 60 solar controller
2 x 200 amp hour batteries in parallel
12v 3000 watt inverter

Unit 2
4 x 100-watt solar panels
1 Renogy 40 Solar Controller
1 x 300 amp hour battery
12v 2000 watt inverter

Here is what I run. Laptop, 120v mini split, Track mate Rc drag system, TV, 3 12 volt battery chargers, 1 cell booster, DeWalt battery chargers x 3, 1 printer, LED lights, and a 120v portable refer.

I know this has been asked a ton about specific setups, and I want to convert this to 48v and not spend 10k.

Welcome.

There may not be a lot to save from your existing. Depending in part on the type of batteries. Though you may end up running a 12 volt and a 48 volt system.

There’s not a lot of room on a cargo trailer for panels. Are you needing mounted panels or are you in a fixed location?

The 100 watt panels are pretty small. Running an air con needs lots of watts. These come from bigger panels.

First thing to do is figure out how many watts you want to burn each day. All in.

Get this number and then we can talk about panels, inverters, and batteries. And yes, you probably want 48.

PV panels are cheap now. You can likely fit (4) high power panels somewhere around 400W each +- .
If trailer is 7' wide you need panels 40" wide.
Lifepo4 prices have come down dramatically too. (2) Li Time 230Ah in parallel would be good
For fridge you might consider a 115v model with 12v inverter compressor.

Welcome.

There may not be a lot to save from your existing. Depending in part on the type of batteries. Though you may end up running a 12 volt and a 48 volt system.

There’s not a lot of room on a cargo trailer for panels. Are you needing mounted panels or are you in a fixed location?

The 100 watt panels are pretty small. Running an air con needs lots of watts. These come from bigger panels.

First thing to do is figure out how many watts you want to burn each day. All in.

Get this number and then we can talk about panels, inverters, and batteries. And yes, you probably want 48.
The Panels are mounted to the roof, id like to replace them with a higher watt panels

Running minisplit off Unit 1 we assume.
Yes, probably combine all batteries and panels.
Getting bigger wattage panels will not yield more watts per square foot. Just add more panels, fill the roof up, remove roof vents and fill roof with panels.
You really need to do a power audit. We dont really know how much power you use on all your odd items listed.

Is a small generator just too much trouble to keep gas in? With a soft-start you can use a 2200 inverter generator on low idle and run AC unit. For me, yes, is a pain to have to daily fill the little 1 gallon gas tank, but it truly is the cheapest and easiest way to have power for an AC unit when needed. They make extended run aux gas tanks that can add 1,2 or 5 gallons to your little generator's capacity. These gens are quiet too (like ryobi 2300, or honda, or many other off-brand inverter generators of the 2000-2400 watt range). Size it according to your mini-split.

diy solar

diy solar
Back