diy solar

diy solar

Need electrician in Tampa Florida area for DIY solar permit.

dbmankow

I have drawings and plans and submitted for permit but in order to get permit need contractor/electrician.

From county
“However, an owner must utilize a licensed electrical contractor to effectuate the wiring of the solar panels, including any interconnection to the customer’s residential electrical wiring. The limitations of this exemption shall be expressly stated in the building permit approved and issued by the permitting agency for such project”

Not sure if off grid solution is feasible. We have plug in EV so use ~70 kWh a day or more.

but in order to get permit need contractor/electrician.
Sometimes the paperwork for permitting is the hard part for some electricians. Since you have done some of the heavy lifting, it should not be too hard to find an electrician. What I do when working with electricians to save them time is to be there for the inspection. My county is more relaxed about owner builder permits. On one phase involving a main panel upgrade, I listed the electricians name and had him do some of the work where his expertise was needed, but I saved the electrician the time of pulling the permit and waiting for inspection.

In Florida you are allowed to pull a permit and do your own electrical work, as long as it is your own personal residence.

In Florida you are allowed to pull a permit and do your own electrical work, as long as it is your own personal residence.

This ^^^^

If you are the homeowner, you can do any permitted work in Florida, you just can't do this for others, that requires licensed contractors for specific trades.

I have in 3 properties in the years built large solar systems including building a net-zero energy home subbing out trades I couldn't do, like all the concrete work or extra hands as necessary.

Unless it’s off grid they claim FS 489.103(7)(A):
When installing, uninstalling, or replacing solar panels on one-family, two-family, or three-family residences, and the local permitting agency’s county or municipal government is participating in a “United States Department of Energy SunShot Initiative: Rooftop Solar Challenge” grant. However, an owner must utilize a licensed electrical contractor to effectuate the wiring of the solar panels, including any interconnection to the customer’s residential electrical wiring. The limitations of this exemption shall be expressly stated in the building permit approved and issued by the permitting agency for such project.

This seems a misunderstanding of the statutes ( really English ) as this paragraph is not new and I have pulled permits in 2020 that the statutes had the same language in Pinellas county. ( I looked up the 2019 version and it has the same language )

The section 3 you have listed is a single case, that would only apply when the term "and" is met.

The however term with the electrical contractor isn't general, it is a modifier to the and statement preceding and nothing else. It is not written that ALL solar installations require electrical contractors.

I would suggest you request an in person meeting with the relevant inspector in your county and point out that Pinellas county does not have a requirement of the electrical contractor be utilized ( this is state law, not by county ) and Pinellas is the largest in the state.

I’m in manatee but same difference. Ya I agree but really don’t want to get off on the wrong foot with permitting office… who knows what kind of fresh hell they can put me through. I mean if anyone has gone through grid tied diy solar permitting might be the person that has the answer.

I’m in manatee but same difference. Ya I agree but really don’t want to get off on the wrong foot with permitting office… who knows what kind of fresh hell they can put me through. I mean if anyone has gone through grid tied diy solar permitting might be the person that has the answer.

Done it three times

You need PE stamped plans showing single line drawing, all data sheets for racking and components , letter the roof and trusses have been reviewed for wind code compliance and approved. A firm like Green Lancer can do all this for a reasonable fee..

Done it three times

You need PE stamped plans showing single line drawing, all data sheets for racking and components , letter the roof and trusses have been reviewed for wind code compliance and approved. A firm like Green Lancer can do all this for a reasonable fee..

I have all these and submitted and they wouldn’t process.

“A ELECTRICAL sub is required before we can route this for review. Please have the licensed professional fill out the attached sub-form, upload to this application and email me when completed at : marci.cass@mymanatee.org

I guess I can maybe go down there and talk to them…???

Call and make an appointment with the permit reviewer, they work for you on your tax dollars, be polite and professional but NOT scared to question what they say.

Your PE that stamped the plans should be able to help as well as they should know the Florida building codes.

My buddy lives in Tampa. Two years ago I helped him install 36 panels, an 8K Sol-Ark, etc. He used this company to do all of the panel / roof / wind calculations. They provided a permitting package which had cut sheets, a CAD drawing, power calculations, etc.

The "inspector" came out after we finished. He looked for the big items - emergency shut down, enough spacing on the roof panels for firefighters to walk, etc. He stamped it good to go. Probably wasn't 20 minutes total.

Back