diy solar

diy solar

Need help finding BMS for Nissan leaf 24v system

jjboogy10

Need help finding BMS for Nissan leaf 24v system. Total of 6 gen 1 Nissan leaf batteries.
I have them wired:
3 in series (2 groups of this), Then paralleled these 2 groups of 3s. @24v.

Struggling to figure out a BMS that work work for this config, or how to go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you have many options. Electrodacus SHMS0, Tiny BMS, Chargery, Rec-BMS. You need to do your research to see if any of these units work in your voltage range and charging range.

Your larger problem may be finding a inverter/charger that works within your voltage range. My understanding is the Leaf cells are not suitable for 24vdc systems. It is better for 48 vdc systems.

What are your cell and battery min and max specs?

24.9v high
19.6v low

I'm looking for high/low cut off protection, low temp charging protection.

Im using mine with a small inverter infrequently, mostly will be running a 24v>12v step down to a fuse block (lights, fridge, heater etc.. )
Still building, but will be charged from a solar setup/MPPT.

I haven't wrapped my head around the wiring of a BMS, and how this would be effected by my series/paralleled combo.

Great question! I'm looking for the same thing... i'm running a 4S5P (20 cells total) system and would love a good BMS suggestion. It seems like most of Will's videos are LiFePo oriented and from what I can tell often use different BMS. I do love will's videos though...

I did find these guys, but they are a little out of my price range. Batrium

I'm also feeling like given the leaf module setup (sensing node)... I kinda actually have a 8s5p system.... I'd love for someone just to tell me, use *this* BMS whatever that may be. hahaha

CHeers

Need help finding BMS for Nissan leaf 24v system. Total of 6 gen 1 Nissan leaf batteries.
I have them wired:
3 in series (2 groups of this), Then paralleled these 2 groups of 3s. @24v.

Struggling to figure out a BMS that work work for this config, or how to go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Great question! I'm looking for the same thing... i'm running a 4S5P (20 cells total) system and would love a good BMS suggestion. It seems like most of Will's videos are LiFePo oriented and from what I can tell often use different BMS. I do love will's videos though...

I did find these guys, but they are a little out of my price range. Batrium

I'm also feeling like given the leaf module setup (sensing node)... I kinda actually have a 8s5p system.... I'd love for someone just to tell me, use *this* BMS whatever that may be. hahaha

CHeers
The one I linked to in post #4, on eBay @ $190 USD shipped isn't that high of a price, if it does the job....

The one I linked to in post #4, on eBay @ $190 USD shipped isn't that high of a price, if it does the job....

Great! I like that one. I think I came across it early in my search and I wasn’t quite educated enough to appreciate it. I’m glad you pointed it out. I just spent 30 min looking at it again and I believe it may do a great job for me. Looks like it might be $300 after I buy the wiring, Bluetooth, relay, etc... but that’s much better than $1000. Although that batrium looked sweet haha

I’m glad to have found this forum.

Great! I like that one. I think I came across it early in my search and I wasn’t quite educated enough to appreciate it. I’m glad you pointed it out. I just spent 30 min looking at it again and I believe it may do a great job for me. Looks like it might be $300 after I buy the wiring, Bluetooth, relay, etc... but that’s much better than $1000. Although that batrium looked sweet haha

I’m glad to have found this forum.
It sure looks a lot like the $1,000.00 one, too. The shape of it and mounting holes...
I think that one popped up when I was searching for a certain EU made BMS I saw on a YT video....

Im using an 8S Nissan Leaf configuration as well and use the REC Q BMS and can say that it works perfectly. It's not the cheapest but just wanted to mention that it does in fact work well with the stated configuration. Enjoy your adventure.

Back