diy solar

diy solar

Need help with a 36v system for trolling motor

Xphobe

Hello, I need some help figuring out what will work, more specifically if I can install two 6s BMS's in series to produce 36v for a trolling motor.

I have a late 90s boat that has only 2 bays, specifically for only 1 group 31 battery in each, in which I need to somehow produce 36v@80a for my new trolling motor. I do have plenty of room to make a small 105ah Lifepo4 36v battery and put it in one of the bays, but I would much rather have the 280ah cells. I do have just enough room to put 6-280ah cells in each of the bays to make a full 12 cell system, even though I will have to make my own battery box for that particular odd size. I would also rather have one bms per bay then having a bunch of small wires run through the boat to try and get one bms to control the cells both bays. The equipment I wish to use are;

- 12) Grade A 280ah Lifepo4s
- 2) JK 3S-8s 200a (to be installed in series) (waterproof them with silicone spray)
- 1) 36V 18a smart golf cart charger (waterproof)

I do not know if the JK BMS can be installed this way or if the golf cart charger will work or even keep feeding power to the JKs for balancing. I would rather have two 18v chargers but there's not such thing. I have a picture below of how I think it should be configured. Feedback would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• Lifepo4 Setup.jpg
    Lifepo4 Setup.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11
I would probably try to configure it as a single 36V pack with all the cells in series instead of doing 2 batteries.

I have no experience with a setup like that, so I don't know if a 14S BMS is available.

Back