diy solar

diy solar

Need Recs for Solar panels and inverter setup to offset AC unit, pool pump, and car charging. Grid as backup.

Hieusays

So last summer my electric bill hit $600-$700/mo during June-August. Turns out my house had tons of Air leaks and two of the vents were terminated in the crawl space but never covered so it was just blowing AC Air into the crawl space. That has been remedied.

My main goal of solar is to offset costs during peak hours when the AC unit runs and to help with the pool pump and car charging costs. I live next to an electrical substation so we almost never get power outages.

My plan is to get 10-12 kw in panels and get an inverter that will prioritize solar and use grid power when solar isn’t generating. I don’t need net metering or to feed back into the grid. I would like it to operate like an automatic backup generator switch with the grid being the backup.

What inverter would you recommend for this setup? I may add a few batteries in the future but it’s not a priority.

Thanks in advance.

Any decent programmable SCC can be configured to switch load on/off @ voltage with a couple of relays and a switching power supply or charger

Example using NC relays
Load off @ 46v, Load on @ 57.6v

Last edited:
I am partial the the 18 KPV, but in your case 2 6000s would seem to make sense.

Back