diy solar

diy solar

New Battery In A Toolbox

Brett V

Mad Scientist
Finally finished my upgrade build. Had one set of EVE 230's mounted in a small wall mounted toolbox. Was going to duplicate that with a second set of the same batteries but decided to do something different. I now have two batteries in a 48" toolbox and put a set of wheels on the bottom so it's easy to move if needed. Put an Anderson connector on the side too.

The Batteries are compressed between sheets of plastic cutting boards secured with angle aluminum. One end is fixed and the other end is adjusted with 1/4" bolts to give some movement for compression on the cells.

In cabinet cables are all #2 and the feed from the outside up to the Growatt is 1/0. Since I'm limited to 100 amps on each bank by the Overkill BMS, that should be sufficient. The beakers are new old stock DC breakers from from a -48 telecommunications application, each with a 100 amp continuous rating and they trip at 130 amps. Again, plenty for my needs. I also installed a momentary pushbutton switch and 10 ohm 20 watt resistor for precharge to the inverter. Each string also has a 300 amp class-T fuse about 12" from the positive terminal. This is just a safety in case of a catastrophic failure inside the box. In case of an oh $hit failure, the Anderson connector can be yanked out and the whole mess wheeled out in to the driveway very quickly.

The original set of cells came with the usual solid busbars which I had drilled and tapped for the BMS connections. The second set of cells came with the layered thin strips that are becoming the new standard. They appear to have a very thin coating of silver by looking at the color of the oxidation and I had to stack the ring terminals for the BMS on one of the posts but don't anticipate any problems.

My first set of cells was purchased through the infamous Michael Caro group buy back in 2021 and have been in service for almost 2 years. The only compression they had was a dual wrap of filament tape in groups of 4 cells. They have never swelled at all. The second set was purchase from Docan USA stock about a year ago and have been sitting in my garage. They were slightly swollen when I got them but it didn't seem to be significant. Once I got them in place next to the older cells however, those insignificant differences added up and by the time I was done, I needed a piece of 3/4"plywood to make up the difference on the old cells since my compression scheme relies on both strings being physically the same size end to end.

Overall I'm happy with how it turned out and think it's more than adequate for my little 6k Growatt.

Attachments

• Battery Box V2.jpg
    Battery Box V2.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 50
  • BMS V2.jpg
    BMS V2.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Battery Box Connected.jpg
    Battery Box Connected.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 49
Nice! Makes me consider this route when I add my 3rd bank, should be able to fit 3 in a larger box, or just order 2 small boxes since I'll be adding a 4th bank the way this addiction is going...
I see you also added a section of c channel to the bottom of the box to spread the load, smart!

I see you also added a section of c channel to the bottom of the box to spread the load, smart!
Yeah, the C channel was an afterthought and I'm glad I did it. Had I planned ahead on that part, I'd have run two sections side to side with the wheels on the corners supporting it instead of just bolting them to the bottom of the box.

Back