diy solar

diy solar

New build in cooler

Vonzacsavbal

Going to have 5 Li Time 100 ah 12 v batteries. I want it portable and putting wheels on igloo cooler. I already had a 12v 3000w inverter, so I'm going to keep my batteries 12v. Parallel. I was going to use a + and - bus bars to attach each battery to. 6 lug. So 5 batteries to the lugs, and then the 6th lug to the inverter. I am usually just going to use ac charger, 60 amp, to charge the batteries individually at first. Then after they are fully charged to same level, I was wondering if I can just connect to the bus bars and charge all 5 batteries together with the AC 60amp charger. Now we're talking 500 amps here, should the bus bars be able to handle 150? 250? 300? or 600 amps? Also should I use 1/0 or 2/0 cable from batteries to the bus bars? I also have a solar charge controller that I will eventually hook up later to 3 100 watt panels. I figure the 5 batteries will give me at least a few days running lights, and maybe a small portable heater if needed. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to all this, but want piece of mind if my power ever goes out for a long time. Or my extended family, hence to keep it portable and throw in my truck if need be.Solar cooler.jpeg

The fuse and bus bar should be sized for your largest load. Likely the 3000 watt inverter. So something like 300 amps.
If the inverter is going on the ice chest, it's going to need some ventilation to get that heat out.

For the real reason I'm here: I read the title as "new built-in cooler" and I was wondering what that meant. I never would have guessed "new build, in cooler an actual igloo ice chest" ?

LoL Should I fuse each individual battery to the bus bar? Then use a 300 amp fuse to the inverter? Or just use 300 amp bus bars and 1 fuse to the inverter?

LoL Should I fuse each individual battery to the bus bar? Then use a 300 amp fuse to the inverter? Or just use 300 amp bus bars and 1 fuse to the inverter?
After all the battery connections are made, I was going to cut some plywood with holes for venting battery heat if any, and suspend it above the batteries by a few inches, then place inverter on top of plywood and run about 4 12v cpu fans on sides where the handles are without compromising the structure 2 blowing in and 2 blowing out. That way, the lid can be closed and all self contained.... i'd hate to see my cats jump in there by mistake! :)

After all the battery connections are made, I was going to cut some plywood with holes for venting battery heat if any, and suspend it above the batteries by a few inches, then place inverter on top of plywood and run about 4 12v cpu fans on sides where the handles are without compromising the structure 2 blowing in and 2 blowing out. That way, the lid can be closed and all self contained.... i'd hate to see my cats jump in there by mistake! :)
When pumping out power ,you will be suprized how warm batteries get…plan on good fans …you may be better with a 4 inch inline fan ( like ACInfinity makes ) and one screened exit hole for the cats protection.
It will produce a huge CFM flow with only a few watts of power… with a backlit display that shows the temp and other things..there’s a few people on here that use them… I have 6 different ones and 2 different types… life span for continuous duty is about 8 - 10 years… a few small computer fans won’t do much for ya
remember , battery’s get hot … plan on it.
J.

diy solar

diy solar
Back