diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 6000XP Install

Well duh :).

My router has firewall built in (Synology rt2600ac) but I'm not sure it goes to the level that was shown above. That's why I was curious.
Not being rude just don't want to put too much security info on the www.

Some good Firewalls which some are Fortinet, pfSense, Untangle, IPcop and all will show you denied traffic that matched the deny list. PM me if you would like more info.

• My biggest complaint so far is I had to disable L7 block to China to allow the connection to the cloud. I have verified with my DNS server that it’s processing requests to China for the device. I’ve never had to do this, even with Tuya sponsored devices. There doesn’t appear to be a setting for this.
@EG4_Jarrett maybe you could look into this? A pretty decent issue from a security perspective. I mean, if someone wants to know when I’m using power, whatever. But most people will not know how to proxy the traffic only to the WAN and block LAN access. Seen another engineer reverse engineer the device and found the EG4 US based server address. That seems to be an option that is updatable on the 18kpv. But not the 6kpv variant.
I'm shocked anyone would expect a Chinesium inverter to NOT be talking to China. Why else are they giving these away so cheap if not for control/data mining.

I'm shocked anyone would expect a Chinesium inverter to NOT be talking to China. Why else are they giving these away so cheap if not for control/data mining.
More importantly, in the age of cloud computing, I'm not sure why people would care. I can VERY easily setup a cloud instance in china, give it a US IP to bypass all of your layer 7 "geo detection" stuff. You'd connect to an IP in california, or texas, florida, etc.. but still actually be "talking" to the server in china. You just wouldn't know. It wouldn't even be a proxy server or any other nonsense. it'd just be *standard* routing that any of the larger cloud providers have readily available.

The datalogger sends data to our server. If it hit a Chinese server, it was to be routed to our American based server that is hosted by Amazon. If it is ONLY speaking to a Chinese server, then this is a problem, and we need to take care of it.

@dmkj has your datalogger stayed on the Amazon server?
@jeremyee is you datalogger still speaking to China? If so, please send me a DM and we will get you taken care of.

The datalogger sends data to our server. If it hit a Chinese server, it was to be routed to our American based server that is hosted by Amazon. If it is ONLY speaking to a Chinese server, then this is a problem, and we need to take care of it.

@dmkj has your datalogger stayed on the Amazon server?
@jeremyee is you datalogger still speaking to China? If so, please send me a DM and we will get you taken care of.
Everything has been good to go. No more Chinese routes.

The comment above from someone about “geo detection” stuff is a little funny. I don’t think you quite understand. But please setup a Chinese VPS and trick us all.

Last edited:
The comment above from someone about “geo detection” stuff is a little funny. I don’t think you quite understand. But please setup a Chinese VPS and trick us all.
I've been doing this career for 35+ years, I "quite understand" it just fine. You might notice the "aws" in my username. Phonetically, it's "into AWS" But, some info:

There is this routing thing called "anycast" which advertises a BGP route from multiple "points of presence" around the world. It's been used for decades with things like DNS servers. The famous 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8 DNS servers don't just live in a single datacenter. There are servers all over the place with those IP's. the routers in those datacenters are set to "advertise" that subnet to the world. When someone in austin connects to "8.8.8.8" the traffic goes to the "closest BGP route" to them. When someone in hong kong connects, it goes to the POP that is closest to them. This is the old school legacy way of doing it, where the anycasted address has a physical server at the POP.

Also, by "closest to them", I mean.. in terms of internet latency or router hops. Not necessarily the geographically closest point.

Now, add cloud providers to the mix, who often run their own private networks. I'll use amazon as an example.

I spin up a server in whatever region I choose. Lets say I choose germany. So, I spin up an ec2 instance in germany. I add the capability to anycast to it, for roughly $20 a month using an offering they have called "global accelerator" which does the same as above, except this time.. I don't need a physical server at each POP. The routes are advertised from a multitude of amazon edge locations (seattle, miami, pheonix, atlanta, etc etc). so the traffic coming from YOUR device, would hit the nearest POP. But in reality, thats just the "on-ramp" for the traffic to hit amazons network. Once it's on their network, it can 100% go to china without you ever being any wiser.

And this only uses a simple routing technique. It's actually pretty trivial to do, AND doesn't take into account any of the reverse proxy options that anyone in the world has available to them (cloudfront, fastly, cloudflare, etc) that simply takes the traffic and "proxies" it to whatever I want on the backend. So once again, you connect to "miami" but on the backend, it's just reverse proxied to china.

In the modern era of cloud computing, "geo detection" of outbound L7 traffic is (or rather, can be) a farce. Anyone that *wants* to fool you into thinking you are connecting to a local server, can do it at minimal effort or cost.

*Edit* I love a challenge. I set this up in about 10 minutes.
I've created a webserver on AWS. hostname is "http://diysolarforum.n2aws.com"
Feel free to browse to it, and let me know where your L7 filtering thinks it's located. Hint: it's just using anycast, no reverse proxy or other smoke and mirrors. It's simply routing. What city or country do you think it's located in?

And finally.. this capability/technology has a *ton* of practical purposes. it's not necessarily intended for this kind of "avoid firewalls blocking traffic to certain countries" stuff we're discussing here, but it IS one of the things it's excellent at as a side-product of using it. There are numerous legitimate reasons one might use this technology without a nefarious intent.

Last edited:
I've created a webserver on AWS. hostname is "diysolarforum.n2aws.com"
Feel free to browse to it, and let me know where your L7 filtering thinks it's located. Hint: it's just using anycast, no reverse proxy or other smoke and mirrors. It's simply routing. What city or country do you think it's located in?
I know !!!!
Maybe not, yeah this gets complicated real quick. I am out of my depth !!!!

Last edited:
I've been doing this career for 35+ years, I "quite understand" it just fine. You might notice the "aws" in my username. Phonetically, it's "into AWS" But, some info:

There is this routing thing called "anycast" which advertises a BGP route from multiple "points of presence" around the world. It's been used for decades with things like DNS servers. The famous 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8 DNS servers don't just live in a single datacenter. There are servers all over the place with those IP's. the routers in those datacenters are set to "advertise" that subnet to the world. When someone in austin connects to "8.8.8.8" the traffic goes to the "closest BGP route" to them. When someone in hong kong connects, it goes to the POP that is closest to them. This is the old school legacy way of doing it, where the anycasted address has a physical server at the POP.

Also, by "closest to them", I mean.. in terms of internet latency or router hops. Not necessarily the geographically closest point.

Now, add cloud providers to the mix, who often run their own private networks. I'll use amazon as an example.

I spin up a server in whatever region I choose. Lets say I choose germany. So, I spin up an ec2 instance in germany. I add the capability to anycast to it, for roughly $20 a month using an offering they have called "global accelerator" which does the same as above, except this time.. I don't need a physical server at each POP. The routes are advertised from a multitude of amazon edge locations (seattle, miami, pheonix, atlanta, etc etc). so the traffic coming from YOUR device, would hit the nearest POP. But in reality, thats just the "on-ramp" for the traffic to hit amazons network. Once it's on their network, it can 100% go to china without you ever being any wiser.

And this only uses a simple routing technique. It's actually pretty trivial to do, AND doesn't take into account any of the reverse proxy options that anyone in the world has available to them (cloudfront, fastly, cloudflare, etc) that simply takes the traffic and "proxies" it to whatever I want on the backend. So once again, you connect to "miami" but on the backend, it's just reverse proxied to china.

In the modern era of cloud computing, "geo detection" of outbound L7 traffic is (or rather, can be) a farce. Anyone that *wants* to fool you into thinking you are connecting to a local server, can do it at minimal effort or cost.

*Edit* I love a challenge. I set this up in about 10 minutes.
I've created a webserver on AWS. hostname is "http://diysolarforum.n2aws.com"

And finally.. this capability/technology has a *ton* of practical purposes. it's not necessarily intended for this kind of "avoid firewalls blocking traffic to certain countries" stuff we're discussing here, but it IS one of the things it's excellent at as a side-product of using it. There are numerous legitimate reasons one might use this technology without a nefarious intent.
Any CDN can do the same. Cloudflare is free for small websites while cloud providers usually charge for traffic when you use L3 or L7 load balancers. The best way to avoid sharing your info is not to share it :).

What city or country do you think it's located in?
domain resolves to: 15.197.219.181 (this time). GeoIP says it is in Seattle

Traceroute shows a final hop (before the end destination) of 15.230.204.11. GeoIP says it is in Ashburn, VA.

Can't wait to hear where it really is :)

Any CDN can do the same. Cloudflare is free for small websites while cloud providers usually charge for traffic when you use L3 or L7 load balancers. The best way to avoid sharing your info is not to share it :).

Exactly. CDNs, reverse proxies, anycast.. lots of ways to make the geo location/country blocking be absolutely useless.

domain resolves to: 15.197.219.181 (this time). GeoIP says it is in Seattle

Traceroute shows a final hop (before the end destination) of 15.230.204.11. GeoIP says it is in Ashburn, VA.

Can't wait to hear where it really is :)
Any guesses to where the server actually is? City/Country?

Any guesses to where the server actually is? City/Country?
Traveling, and only on my phone. But the two balanced IP’s from AWS keep hitting a UK DNS server first. Only port 80 is open, not leaving much to go on but AWS isn’t bouncing much. And there are no other records.

I will say that L7 “stuff” is still better than not having the “stuff”. Secondly, if you want analytics, you don’t do a lot of the bouncing as the header information of packets as well as the true origins is lost, which is what China or anyone else would want if you are data mining.

Traveling, and only on my phone. But the two balanced IP’s from AWS keep hitting a UK DNS server first. Only port 80 is open, not leaving much to go on but AWS isn’t bouncing much. And there are no other records.

I will say that L7 “stuff” is still better than not having the “stuff”. Secondly, if you want analytics, you don’t do a lot of the bouncing as the header information of packets as well as the true origins is lost, which is what China or anyone else would want if you are data mining.
You are mistakenly assuming that the traffic is "bouncing" when I've already explained, this is simply routing. no bouncing involved. All of the header information, IPs and everything is 100% intact, because there is literally nothing between the source (your internet connection) and the destination (the server I've setup somewhere) to molest the header information.

Also, the DNS servers aren't in the UK. they are also anycasted. You just happen to notice one of them has a .co.uk domain associated with it. but it's irrelevant to the physical location of the machine. (See my 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8 explanations in my post above) Amazon provides 4 DNS servers for each hosted zone. Each of those 4 uses a different "top level domain" (ie, .com, .net, .org, and .co.uk) for redundancy. That way if the root servers for a toplevel domain go down, the domain still has 3 other servers able to answer queries.

But, back to the original point.. the "geo location" stuff that your firewall is doing, means nothing in the modern networking age :)
port 80 being open or not, doesn't mean anything. the IPs are the only thing your "country block" stuff would be looking at. It'd consult a geoIP database, which does you no good when the destination you are hitting, is in the same country you are in (unless of course you are blocking traffic destined for your own country for some reason) "country level blocking" is a gimmick. It makes people feel better. But the reality is, if someone was maliciously trying to get your data, it's trivial to work around country level blocking. So, you're likely only blocking "legitimate" traffic that has an actual and intended purpose. If an entity in china wanted your device to "phone home" nefariously, they'd already be doing it, and you'd never know using these techniques.

And finally, even if the packets were being bounced, a CDN or reverse proxy would typically add an "X-Forwarded-For" header, which would include the original source IP. But, they aren't being bounced.

Last edited:
I'm going to tear this down now. No sense paying for it longer than I need to.

The answers I got (in this thread, and in DMs) were:
richmond, VA
austin, TX
miami, FL
Seattle, WA
Cheney resevoir, Kansas
Sydney, Australia (the only person who DM'd who was outside of the united states)

Several people said the UK (though I suspect that was due to one of the DNS servers ending with .co.uk in the hostname, not from a geoip database)

The final answer: Seoul, South Korea. Running as a single EC2 instance. Global Accelerator providing the anycasted IPs.
See screenshot as proof: Notice the region is "Seoul" in the top right.
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.06.54 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm going to tear this down now. No sense paying for it longer than I need to.

The answers I got (in this thread, and in DMs) were:
richmond, VA
austin, TX
miami, FL
Seattle, WA
Cheney resevoir, Kansas
Sydney, Australia (the only person who DM'd who was outside of the united states)

Several people said the UK (though I suspect that was due to one of the DNS servers ending with .co.uk in the hostname, not from a geoip database)

The final answer: Seoul, South Korea. Running as a single EC2 instance. Global Accelerator providing the anycasted IPs.
See screenshot as proof: Notice the region is "Seoul" in the top right.
View attachment 187207
As a DoD-focused network engineer/architect for a good chunk of my career, I salute your efforts and explanation here. ??

My motto has always been “if you’re in my network, you are the one at risk”.

As a DoD-focused network engineer/architect for a good chunk of my career, I salute your efforts and explanation here. ??

My motto has always been “if you’re in my network, you are the one at risk”.
100%

I honestly just hope the above info helps people to realize that "geo detection" filters on all these firewalls are a simple gimmick, and does little to actually improve the security posture. Realistically, it's likely just blocking legitimate traffic. As demonstrated above, the bad entities that want your data have simple and inexpensive options to get it without you ever knowing. It's much like the TSA. It just makes people feel better without actually doing much to actually make things safer. The legitimate entities have no reason to focus on hiding the location of where the traffic is going (though, they may unintentionally do it as a byproduct of some of the *other* reasons they may want to implement this capability).

That said, I don't need to beat a dead horse. I'll leave the above info here for people to read and digest, but will likely not be responding to the thread any longer.

I just installed the 6000XP with the ethernet (wired) dongle with my firewall on default Block and Reject... Guess who was phoning home....TO CHINA!
xApr 1 23:09:59DangerNetX.X.2.6:8080120.79.53.27:4346TCP:S
xApr 1 23:10:05DangerNetX.X.2.6:8080120.79.53.27:4346TCP:S
xApr 1 23:10:12DangerNetX.X.2.6:8080120.79.53.27:4346TCP:S

I think SS or CC or whoever is selling these inverters should have this not occur on U.S. products... What a BIG National Security Issue here!

Information related to '120.76.0.0 - 120.79.255.255'

Abuse contact for '120.76.0.0 - 120.79.255.255' is 'didong.jc@alibaba-inc.com'

inetnum: 120.76.0.0 - 120.79.255.255
netname: ALISOFT
descr: Aliyun Computing Co., LTD
descr: 5F, Builing D, the West Lake International Plaza of S&T
descr: No.391 Wen'er Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, 310099

Last edited:
I just installed the 6000XP with the ethernet (wired) dongle with my firewall on default Block and Reject... Guess who was phoning home....TO CHINA!

I think SS or CC or whoever is selling these inverters should have this not occur on U.S. products... What a BIG National Security Issue here!
It’s cheap Chinese, it’s basically expected behavior.

I need to update the dongle firmware to move you out of the test server can you dm me you dongle serial number or station name?

N2AWS went into a lot of detail over multiple posts why it does not matter and how the data going initially to a non-Chinese server is just feel good nonsense with no relation to the data's final destination.. but sure get worked up about it.

The entire unit, chips, logic and code is Chinese.

The units are frequently running critical infrastructure for those who purchase them but a few data packets that help them debug and improve the firmware is the final straw?

Back