diy solar

diy solar

New Electrical for 73 Apache Ramada hardside popup camper.

Burgh60

I have some questions on suggestions on what to use. This is my first venture into Solar.

The original electric has been removed so I am starting from scratch. I know I can add a Power Center. But I didn’t want to put that in and add Solar later. In my mind I have a clean slate and might as well do it right from the beginning. I question whether I need a power center like a Progressive Dynamics PD4100 if installing solar also. The electrical upgrades and existing devices I have installed and wired so far are listed below.

• Two new LED main lighting fixtures.
  • Four small 2” diameter recessed LED light fixtures.
  • Five 120vac receptacles (The original camper had one).
  • I have installed a 12vdc water pump for Boondocking.
  • I have installed a new 12vdc Vent Fan.
  • I have an existing furnace that has a small fan rated 12vdc.
  • The refrigerator is gone as it didn’t work. I am debating if I should put a frig back in or not. If I do I am not sure if I will do a 2 way (120vac & 12vdc) or a 3 way (120vac & 12vdc & Propane) Finding one that fits and the price can be a challenge.
  • I plan on installing a 12vdc car radio also.
  • If I add an AC unit I would only use that at a camp ground with shore power
I plan on 30A or a 35A setup as far as shore power. I don’t see using much AC maybe for a coffee pot, Phone charger or Small fan. I was thinking for the Solar to go with 200W of Solar panels. (Unless this is overkill) These would NOT be permanently mounted. I would be looking at the foldable or building a rake and set these up outside on the ground. I saw where you can get used solar panels cheap, but shipping may cost a lot.

So do I install a Power Center then incorporate the Solar part into it?

Or do I start out with Solar and wire my AC circuits to a small panelboard. And install one of the Fused Circuit boards for the DC?

I have seen some bad reviews of the Renogy product.

I looked at the MPP 1012LV-MS Product as an all-in-one unit. It appears this needs to be mounted vertically which may be a problem for me. I also was unsure if this could be used to supply 12vdc also. I guess it defiantly could feed the Power Center.

Any system or product specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am a Licensed Journeyman Electrician so I know how to wire various components and size wire. Just looking for a good solid recommendation for starting from scratch and doing right.

Thanks in Advance!

Back