diy solar

diy solar

New build for my new camper

rfguy

I bought a new Host Yukon model pickup camper. It came with a small inverter wired to dedicated TV receptacles and 2 group 24 FLA 12V batteries. A solar system is being planned but I am about finished with the battery build. I did not have much space to work with in the battery compartment but managed to build a frame to hold a 2P4S system with 8ea 280Ah cells. On the left side of the frame is a sub assembly with a Daly fan cooled 300A BMS along with a Victron 500A smart shunt. On the floor of the compartment also to the left is a second sub assembly with a Blue Sea fuse holder and 250A fuse. Connected downstream to the fuse is the power cable for the camper 12V systems via 60A breaker above the battery frame. Also connected downstream to the fuse is a Blue Sea 2 position, 2 battery switch. I use this as a soft start for the inverter. Position one connects the inverter through 10 ohm 25W resistor with Position 2 bypassing the resistor thus connecting the inverter directly to bank.
The battery frame is constructed of aluminum baffles from large wave guide sections I had laying around. The batteries are protected with foam padding on the sides , back and front and with fiber sheets. The jumpers are flexible with the exception of the link connecting the lower cage to upper cage. This link is clamped with Teflon material and nylon bolts. The large Teflon bars across the front are padded on the backside and keep cells from sliding out. I will finish this with fiberglass sheet to cover the battery terminals.
The inverter/charger is a Xantrex 3000W /150A with remote monitoring panel. In the second photo for ground it the 30A AC input for the inverter. Above in the upper compartment is the ground bus with the interverter 12V ground along with smaller cable for the camper systems ground. This project was planned with ease of maintenance. Fuse, switch, circuit breaker, BMS and smart shunt are all servicable without having to pull battery cells out.

Attachments

• Host Battery compartment.jpg
    Host Battery compartment.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 21
  • Inverter_charger compartment.jpg
    Inverter_charger compartment.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 20
I bought a new Host Yukon model pickup camper. It came with a small inverter wired to dedicated TV receptacles and 2 group 24 FLA 12V batteries. A solar system is being planned but I am about finished with the battery build. I did not have much space to work with in the battery compartment but managed to build a frame to hold a 2P4S system with 8ea 280Ah cells. On the left side of the frame is a sub assembly with a Daly fan cooled 300A BMS along with a Victron 500A smart shunt. On the floor of the compartment also to the left is a second sub assembly with a Blue Sea fuse holder and 250A fuse. Connected downstream to the fuse is the power cable for the camper 12V systems via 60A breaker above the battery frame. Also connected downstream to the fuse is a Blue Sea 2 position, 2 battery switch. I use this as a soft start for the inverter. Position one connects the inverter through 10 ohm 25W resistor with Position 2 bypassing the resistor thus connecting the inverter directly to bank.
The battery frame is constructed of aluminum baffles from large wave guide sections I had laying around. The batteries are protected with foam padding on the sides , back and front and with fiber sheets. The jumpers are flexible with the exception of the link connecting the lower cage to upper cage. This link is clamped with Teflon material and nylon bolts. The large Teflon bars across the front are padded on the backside and keep cells from sliding out. I will finish this with fiberglass sheet to cover the battery terminals.
The inverter/charger is a Xantrex 3000W /150A with remote monitoring panel. In the second photo for ground it the 30A AC input for the inverter. Above in the upper compartment is the ground bus with the interverter 12V ground along with smaller cable for the camper systems ground. This project was planned with ease of maintenance. Fuse, switch, circuit breaker, BMS and smart shunt are all servicable without having to pull battery cells out.
Neat work...?

Back