diy solar

diy solar

Wanna upgrade my battery to 24v in my camper

Solarguy8991

Planned on putting solar onto my camper. Bought a renogy 40 amp MPPT solar charge controller after some thinking I’m curious if I can add a 24v battery so I can add more solar panels. Then just route the existing camper battery wires to a 24v to 12v converter. Not too familiar with camper wiring but would I be adding a second converter or is there an easier way possibly

Yes, you would use a 24v to 12v converter and power your 12v devices that way. Though if you have a 12v inverter it would probably make sense to replace it with a 24v due to the high current.

I would sooner get a second controller before all the up and down converters to make 24v work.
How many watts solar is going up?

Planned on putting solar onto my camper. Bought a renogy 40 amp MPPT solar charge controller after some thinking I’m curious if I can add a 24v battery so I can add more solar panels. Then just route the existing camper battery wires to a 24v to 12v converter. Not too familiar with camper wiring but would I be adding a second converter or is there an easier way possibly
I run a 24V battery and AIO inverter in my truck camper, the thread describing it is below in my signature.

I sized my 24V to 12V converter to about twice the size I thought I would need. Many will claim the idle power of the converter is excessive but I have not found that to be the case. I never turn the converter off, even when stored in the winter. I use a 720W converter, so the max draw would be 30A on the battery and I will never need 60A of 12V power.

I run 2 fuse panels, one 24V and the other is a new fuse panel located close to the original fuse panel. This allowed me to split up the loads to different fuses. The only use of the original fuse panel and AC to DC converter is to run my camper jacks. I installed a switch to turn AC power on/off to the AC to DC converter. I can run off shore power or inverter power to power the converter.

I have found the 24V system allows us to run anything we want in the camper. I even run a corded Orek vacuum cleaner off the inverter and don't need to reduce power output of the microwave. I've also run the roof air off the inverter for extended time frames. No heating of wires or terminals, it just plain works. I'm currently removing the roof air and installing a heat pump so I can have longer run times off the battery.

I went to 48 volt and left my 12v system and battery and in place recharging the battery whenever the inverter is on. I like the redundancy I get with having a 12 volt system that still works if I exhaust the 48v system. There are efficiency losses this way but it has been worth multiple times. In my situation I have an older hydraulic slide system that uses to much power to run without a battery. If a 24 to 12v converter will work for you (it does work for many, possibly most campers) you will need to make sure your 120v to 12v converter is disconnected.

Back