diy solar

diy solar

New Battery/Solar for squaredrop camper DIY build

namasterw

I am in early phase of designing my custom semi-DIY square drop camper shell and looking for advice on compartment where LiFePO4 batteries would be placed (and stored off season). Looking to power many components (CPAP, fridge, 12/24 VDC Air conditioner, water pump, fan/lights) so may end up with multiple 100/200 ah batteries. I was thinking about putting in middle of trailer under a raised bedframe (would be accessible but would need to move mattress) with all other components in other locations with easier accessibility. My main question is for the battery storage compartment, do I need to design a vent? lined with metal? separate from trailer main compartment? or other considerations?

I attended overland expo east and have done additional research so not totally ignorant but much to learn before I undertake an electrical system for my camper. I am good at building/fixing things but not as much experience with electrical. Desire ability to charge batteries from vehicle (engine running), shore power, gas/propane generator OR solar panels. Input on this topic is welcome.

Some of my significant load components (CPAP, AC, fridge) may be 24 V so I need to decide on a 12/24/48 V system. Input on this topic is welcome.

My main requirement for my camper is to store in garage due to neighborhood HOA and minimize outside (sun, rain, extreme temps) exposure. This will be a small camper shell about 6-7' wide by 10-12' long by 4-5' high. My thinking is to use the HVAC system on camper to keep the batteries at nominal temperature during off months.

Please respond or provide any links that may be helpful.

Thanks.

Back