diy solar

diy solar

New Here, can someone please check my diagram and let me know what awg wire to use? (24v system)

HeroDanny

I've been obsessing over this for days now and I just want to settle in on a decision because I keep going back and forth and was hoping someone here could help steer me into the correct direction. I am wiring up some solar for my 10x20 shed. I will have main power coming from the house that I will use for larger machines and compressors but I want to use solar as a secondary source to power my LED lights, some circulating fans, and maybe some speakers and the occasional buffing wheel or other small appliance. Anyway I have a lot of questions, first off this is my basic diagram. I have already ordered the Victron 50a controller from amazon, I know it's probably overkill but I do like the idea of possibly expanding my setup in the future.

In the diagram below I didn't list the awg of the cables yet, I am still trying to calculate that all out. But before I do I need to make the final decision on the system I want to run. Originally I thought 12v because that's the most common but upon further investigation it seems that 24v may be better long term so I am leaning towards that way.

Panels: I already own 1 renogy 100w panel from an old setup, so originally I was thinking about getting (2) more 100w panels for a total of 300w, but now I am wondering if I should just ditch the 100w and get a dual pack 200w for a total of 400w, the cost is not much different. Also I know the circuit breaker is unnecessary but I want one so I can turn the power off going to the controller in the event that I need to service the battery I don't want to damage the controller.

Battery: I am TORN on what to do here. Originally I was going to get 2 100ah 12v lifepo4 batteries put them in series. But I think I might instead just get a single 200ah 24v battery, I found one from Redodo which is on sale for $400 with coupons (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B45G2M29/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A25ZM66DMQGVBD&th=1) anyway, I know if I put 2 in series I will get 200ah vs 100ah for similar costs but I am just torn on what to do. Part of me just likes the simplicity of the single battery.

Inverter: I am also torn on this part. I like the Victron 1200W system (https://shorturl.at/gFMrL) but I just am not sure if 1200W will be enough. I mean in theory it is for what I have, but if I do plan on expanding in the future I'd hate to limit myself to 1200W. My question is how much do you guys run off 1200W? Do you think that's enough for a simple beginner setup? For less money I can get the Renogy 2000w inverter that everyone uses on amazon but I read some horror stories about those and it got me spooked. Thoughts?

Also for the wiring I do plan on going larger than needed for everything, sizing up just need to make a decision and calculate it all out. If you guys can recommend me what sizes and also what brand of wire to buy as well as which fuses and circuit breakers then I'd really appreciate it! Thank you everyone!

finished.jpg

Since you mention possible expansion I would suggest a minimum of 10awg PV wire for runs not to exceed 100ft. This gives you the ability to have 30-35a of PV current. Available power in total wattage would be PV voltage at max power point times amperage.

What you could get away with however using your example of 400w worth of panels can be calculated using Watts= Volts X amps. Let's say the panels produce in Series 36Vmp (in series voltages adds). 36v at 11a is about 400w. Thus your wires AWG would need to carry just over 11a and which puts 14awg (rated to 15a) as usable.

Now the battery cable. If you wish to make full use of a 50a charge current (you wont get that from 400w at 24vDC nominal) you would need 6awg cable to the battery. Incidentally 2-100ah 12vDC batteries in series equal 1-100ah 24vDC battery. W=VA

Battery to inverter. 1200w inverter can pull (1200/24vDC) 50a however there is conversion losses which put it perhaps up to 55-60a at battery. The cables here need to be 4awg.

Breakers need to be sized based on cables amperage.

Now the battery cable. If you wish to make full use of a 50a charge current (you wont get that from 400w at 24vDC nominal) you would need 6awg cable to the battery. Incidentally 2-100ah 12vDC batteries in series equal 1-100ah 24vDC battery. W=VA
Thank you. I went with the Redodo 24V 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery, Max. 2560W Power Output for $500. I would like to just run the system off one battery and I think that should be sufficient. I'm starting to go back and forth in my head if I want to do more watts for the solar panels. I found some new ones on marketplace, I guess people have to buy 15-20 minimum for their house but end up only using 12 or so and have left over and just trying to sell for cost. I found 540W solar panels for $200 each. Unfortunately I would need to get 2 for it to be 24v right? Which i'm not sure if 1080W would be overkill for my controller. Alternatively I found 370W panels for $150 each, so I could just get 2 of those for $300 and have 740W which I think would be pretty good.

As for my inverter I am not thinking about 2000W because I'm worried that i'm going to want to expand in the future lol. Any recommendations on a quality inverter less than $400?

Also before anyone mentions it I learned that the grounding rod should only be connected to the inverter and charge controller which I will do :)

diy solar

diy solar
Back